Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is what getting a misaligned steering wheel fixed has been like.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 went to the SC for the off-center steering wheel and I was told the only fix was an alignment. Check your car over when you pick it up. SC curbed my front driver's side wheel and disconnected everything from the USB ports. I also never got a copy of the service invoice and finally had to call to get a pdf copy emailed to me...

• Helpful
Reactions: super20g
My Model 3 went to the SC for the off-center steering wheel and I was told the only fix was an alignment. Check your car over when you pick it up. SC curbed my front driver's side wheel and disconnected everything from the USB ports. I also never got a copy of the service invoice and finally had to call to get a pdf copy emailed to me...
This makes me want to just do unilateral alignment myself. lol. The car tracks straight, both sides just need adjusted over the same amount to fix the issue. Cant say I want to risk any damage from reckless behavior like that though.

My steering wheel was off also upon pickup. SC said it was an alignment issue. Did an alignment, still off. Took it back the next day, they apologized profusely and proceeded to adjust the tie rod arms. That fixed the issue. So, it's not always alignment. Regarding removing the wheel and recentering, I'd be astonished if that coupling was not keyed.

This was at the SC in Van Nuys. The guy managing the place was a former BMW service manager and knew his stuff. Except for the fact that the tech that did the alignment didn't seem to understand why I was there in the first place, I had a good experience.

Welp, here's the result... 8AM appointment today.

Reason: Went in to fix alignment of steering wheel. Was off prob 10 degrees. Car was tracking straight.
Estimate: $0 charge since reported day after delivery. Quoted 1.5 hours of time to fix.
Prep: Detailed car to spotless inside and out and took pics of the outside and inside just in case.
Result: Alignment of steering wheel was still pointed to the right slightly, prob 2 or 3 degrees. Car also slightly pulls to the right now. Car came back like it was in a dust storm. The front seats and dash came back with dust and debris. The front seats and door panels came back with marks on them like smeared dirt. Luckily everything cleaned off but I damn sure will not go back unless I absolutely have to for a major issue. Was done at 10AM
After: Cleaned everything off with multiple towels. Had to work pretty hard on the seat to remove the stains. Went under the car and did the friggin adjustment myself and now the wheel is straight. I would have done this to start with if I was confident the wheels were at least pointing straight and not toed in or out. I included a pic of the new towells just to show how much I am talking about here. How, why, I have no idea although I could hear someone grinding something in there and the drivers side of my car was def dirtier than the right so I assume something on that side was being heavily worked on.
Lesson: I won't go back to this SC unless they are absolutely the only one that can fix the issue. It's just not worth it. The SC obviously doesn't believe in using a clean tech to move cars, paper mats when servicing, clean the vehicle after, anything a dealer like Lexus has done for me. One simple rule, never return a car to a customer in worse condition. Seriously.

First let me say, I LOVE this car and it really pisses me off that the company allows their service centers to be run like this. Seriously, you're going to open my door into a $100k+ car? The techs just appear to have zero respect for vehicles or the managers allow it or both. I hate to say it but it's like they are Jiffy lube techs with nicer tools. If you are going to sit in my brand new car, at least wash your hands and ass and / or put a mat down. Hell, get someone else to move it. It's really that simple.

One last thing. My app kept saying "Ready for Pickup" even though my car is at home. I called the service center and they opened then closed the ticket again, asked me to force close the app and reopen. That worked. Message is gone.

IMG_2161.jpeg
IMG_2159.jpeg
IMG_2018.jpeg
IMG_2158.jpeg
tech.png

Man that steering wheel was way way off.

I had the Dania Beach SC fix mine with an alignment, it was maybe 2-3 degrees off to the left and they got it to 1 ish. They had my car for 1.5 weeks replacing the dashboard for a rattle and fixing these creaking sound from a body seam in the rear.

The car came back pretty much spotless.

Right? How the hell anyone authorized that as good from the factory is beyond me. Hell, even how the "fix" was returned to me was unacceptable IMO. It seriously is as easy as a 1/3 twist of the tie rod arm. But that does no good unless the damn thing is def straight and true. I'd rather have a free alignment check at this point from someone else just to see how far it's off if any.

Right? How the hell anyone authorized that as good from the factory is beyond me. Hell, even how the "fix" was returned to me was unacceptable IMO. It seriously is as easy as a 1/3 twist of the tie rod arm. But that does no good unless the damn thing is def straight and true. I'd rather have a free alignment check at this point from someone else just to see how far it's off if any.

Man I have been through the ringer when it comes to other cars trying to get the steering wheel straight and I also just don't understand what is so hard. Set the thing straight, lock it in place and adjust the tie rods.

Luckily Dania Beach seems to have done a decent job, I'll still prob get it checked on my own at a tire shop next time I need a rotation or something.

Result: Alignment of steering wheel was still pointed to the right slightly, prob 2 or 3 degrees. Car also slightly pulls to the right now. Car came back like it was in a dust storm. The front seats and dash came back with dust and debris. The front seats and door panels came back with marks on them like smeared dirt. Luckily everything cleaned off but I damn sure will not go back unless I absolutely have to for a major issue. Was done at 10AM

Sorry to hear that happened. Mine is going back next week for condensation in the b-pillar camera area and I'm worried what might happen to the car, since they curbed my wheel during my alignment visit...

In case anyone wants to see it, I requested and received the before and after. It does give me a little more peace of mind that the car is properly aligned now. For real though, if you guys get a spec sheet back all green and your wheel is still off center, just adjust the tie rods equally yourself and avoid any unnecessary trips to the SC. You'll be thankful you did.

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 9.08.05 AM.png

Man that steering wheel was way way off.

I had the Dania Beach SC fix mine with an alignment, it was maybe 2-3 degrees off to the left and they got it to 1 ish. They had my car for 1.5 weeks replacing the dashboard for a rattle and fixing these creaking sound from a body seam in the rear.

The car came back pretty much spotless.
I took delivery of both of my M3s from Dania Beach. My 2019 had perfect alignment - 2020 pulled to the right and steering wheel off a few degrees. I reported in via the app and got a service appointment in Sarasota a few days into ownership (Nov. 2019) I waited for it and it was done in about 1 hour. It does really pose the question: who at the QC department at the factory let's this get by?! I mean it's not a tiny blemish guys.

Good news for SW Florida owners is I hear a SC is opening this year in Lee County, possibly Bonita Springs. We need a great service center around here as getting to Dania and/or Sarasota is not always easy for us who have jobs.