Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is what Model 3 Steering wheel/center console should look

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was fiddling around in photoshop today and here is what i think the console/steering wheel should change to "somewhat".
Im absolutely convinced that the steering wheel in the Model 3 is hideous
Model%203%20interior_zpsq3aglv7b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] (think prius) and it needs to go, also not feeling the center console taking up the entire floor idea, I like the Model S open floor plan. Too much console going on, makes it look like it has drive shaft.

Painted this with a mouse so my photoshop skills arent great but you get the idea.
Model 3 interior.jpg

I like the console idea. I like your steering wheel but I bet there are safety regulations banning a gap or break in a steering wheel. I can see the lawsuit now, 'I wanted to grab the wheel but nothing was there, which caused the accident'.

Here's what I'm thinking. The design sketch does show the break in the steering wheel as indicated by the design sketches that have been floating around. One article that I read suggested that he believed that the gap shown in the model 3 design sketch, when combined with some statements taken from Elon's impromptu twitter Q&MA, infer the possibility of a heads-up display. The article further hypothesized that if such technology were to be implemented in the model 3, in order to make it look like the "space ship" Elon's twitter post gushed about, it would likely be some sort of 3D head up display, which would certainly rival anything on the market currently.

The article may have missed the mark in a few respects. First, the hypothesis was that the top of the steering wheel was omitted from the design sketch because it was likely to interfere with a heads-up display. However, this is unlikely to be the case as contemporary heads-up displays have never run into this problem, and the Lexus ones specifically have no issue whatsoever with a steering intrusion problem. The other, as noted by @mdevp above, is that legal requirement and regulations governing the automotive production industry in the states--and specifically California would never allow for a gapped steering wheel. So what then? What can be made of it?

Option 1 is that Tesla is considering implementing a design wheel that incorporates wood grain etc into the steering assembly as has been done on cars for years. Option 2, and this is purely my idea is that Elon may be toying with the idea of making the top of the steering wheel a piece of clear acrylic or glass that can actually incorporate a stationary 3D image or speedometer right into the center portion of the steering wheel. The image would stay centered regardless of where the wheel was being turned so as to ensure that the speed is constantly displayed at the top of the wheel. Option 3, same idea, but the glass top of the wheel is merely a soft touch control module for the speakers, bluetooth, etc that incorporates the option for speed information, but is not the sole display. Option 4 is that it's merely a coloring gimmick that can be back lit in any color of the owner's choosing to make it feel more like a "space ship" as we have been led to believe.