Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Those 21" Uber wheels on the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tinm

2020 Model S LR+ Owner
May 3, 2015
New Mexico, USA
modely21s.png

Based on years of experience talking to Model S owners who got the 21" wheels and then dealt with pot-hole after pot-hole and ruined wheel after ruined wheel until they finally switched to 19s, the idea of a Model Y Performance with the 21s has me concerned.

Don't get me wrong, I think the dark 21s are gorgeous and make the Model Y Performance look awesome. I want it bad!

But I'm really hesitant to get a Y right now if those 21s are the only option -- and according to Tesla this morning when I talked to a sales person, if you want the full Performance package, 21s are all you can get.

If Tesla offered the full Performance package with a different set of wheels I might already have a Y on order.

Anyone else a little concerned about those 21s?

What kind of pot holes is everyone driving over? My car has 20 inch summer rims and I live in the northeast and run over pot holes all the time...obviously if something looks like a crater I avoid it but my definition of a normal pot hole won't destroy a rim. Unless tesla's rims are so cheap that they break easily.

Reactions: rylangreg
I drive on terrible michigan roads on 21" on my MS and never had any problems. I keep my air pressure high and avoid potholes but have hit them in the past. Maybe I've been lucky. I would probably prefer 20" but I don't see the point of getting the performance variant without the free upgrade and I want the performance more than 20" wheels

View attachment 521755

Based on years of experience talking to Model S owners who got the 21" wheels and then dealt with pot-hole after pot-hole and ruined wheel after ruined wheel until they finally switched to 19s, the idea of a Model Y Performance with the 21s has me concerned.

Don't get me wrong, I think the dark 21s are gorgeous and make the Model Y Performance look awesome. I want it bad!

But I'm really hesitant to get a Y right now if those 21s are the only option -- and according to Tesla this morning when I talked to a sales person, if you want the full Performance package, 21s are all you can get.

If Tesla offered the full Performance package with a different set of wheels I might already have a Y on order.

Anyone else a little concerned about those 21s?

My concern is range loss with those staggered 21 with 255 front / 275 rear, not so much potholes here in SoCal.

So, I will be taking off the 21s and replace with 20" Black Sportwheels wheels wrapped in 255/40R20 to match OEM specs - where I hope to get range back to 315 just like it was with 20" Black Induction wheels with 255/40R20 tires.

Got VIN for Performance Y, still waiting to be delivered.

received_225056468626165.jpeg 20200227_211913.jpg

I really like the 21 inch wheels. My concern is there isn’t an all season high performance tire option. I would more than likely run dedicated snow tires in the winter, but here in Pittsburgh we have such dramatic temperature swings that I would prefer an all season tire that I don’t have to worry about when the temperature drops below 40° even when the snow isn’t flying.

Reactions: SJC3
I really like the 21 inch wheels. My concern is there isn’t an all season high performance tire option. I would more than likely run dedicated snow tires in the winter, but here in Pittsburgh we have such dramatic temperature swings that I would prefer an all season tire that I don’t have to worry about when the temperature drops below 40° even when the snow isn’t flying.

In Michigan I change to winters near thanksgiving and back to summer near easter.

This video shows replacing the Model 3's large performance tires with a smaller-diameter, bigger-sidewall tire/wheel combo after taking pothole damage.

I'm hoping I don't run into these problems with my Performance Y, but I chose the Performance Upgrade for the brakes, suspension, and increased top speed. If I trash the 21's, I'll do what the guy in the video did.

And, yes, I'm thinking I'll need winter tires, as shown in this other video.

Reactions: iamnid
I'm looking forward to when people start sharing photos of these new wheels with huge amounts of curb rash on them. They have no edge ridge at the rim and the end of the fins are nice and flat with lots of surface area to scratch up along curbs. The performance wheels on the S and X that were so prone to rash at least had the fins slightly twisted near the tire edge, leaving only a thin strip exposed to curbs.

I think these things are going to be a bit of a nightmare when it comes to curbs.

I'm looking forward to when people start sharing photos of these new wheels with huge amounts of curb rash on them. They have no edge ridge at the rim and the end of the fins are nice and flat with lots of surface area to scratch up along curbs. The performance wheels on the S and X that were so prone to rash at least had the fins slightly twisted near the tire edge, leaving only a thin strip exposed to curbs.

I think these things are going to be a bit of a nightmare when it comes to curbs.
A true Muskhead would respond by pointing out that curb rash is mostly from bad parallel parking and this car parks itself.

Owners of 21" wheels can easly trade them for smaller ones. The aftermarket also offere small diameter rims.

The tire problem of the S may not show up in the Y as it weighs over 1,000 lbs. less.

In support of the OP, it is usually a trade off in price, durability and range with the larger wheels to offset the great looks they provice.

For performance buyers the larger diameter wheels are often necessary to provide space for larger fitted brakes to clear.

So if you change wheel size, do you have to recalibrate the speedo or does the Tesla speedo use GPS?

That video I've reposted a few times now mentions that the Tesla recognizes that there are new tires due to their pressure sensors and asks.

Ugh, changing wheel size doesn't necessarily change tire outer diameter, which is what matters for the speed measurement. The on-screen selection only changes the efficiency assumptions; the tires are all the same diameter.

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Steve