Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thought I was giving up on Tesla, but a 2020 Lexus changed my mind.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hotgrips

Fred F. Stone, plus Wilma, and Pebbles
Supporting Member
Mar 5, 2015
New Hampshire
I thought I had enough Tesla problems to cure me of the Model S: my 2015 Model S was a handful after the warranty expired at 7,600 miles. I was informed both rear air shocks had to be replaced, along with the steering box. You don't want to know how much... Tesla would not even respond to my letters, so I thought about turning to the NHTSA. Instead, I ordered and canceled a number of 2020 Model S, ate the lost multiple $100. deposits, then decided it was not worth the risk and bought a new flagship 2020 Lexus LS 500 F Sport last Saturday. After owning the Lexus for one day, I realized the salesman BS about the safety aspects of lane-keeping capability was just that...BS.

Compared to the Tesla Model S, even my 2015 version, the 2020 LS 500 F Sport lane-keeping capability is a joke. The lane maintaining features of the new Lexus is as bad as a 4-year-old Volvo. Simply neither can be trusted. It meanders slowly from one road lane-marking to the other, like the Volvo. An observant state trooper would be fully justified in pulling you over to check your mental status. Compared to the Tesla, I just don't trust what else is on the market. Am I wrong? You need to be really ready to grab the wheel at all times, but nothing like a Tesla, which does a really good job, and with FSD has potentially better trustworthiness. And that is the reason I am seriously going to sell the new Lexus and seek out a new Tesla. (I should check if you change your mind about a new Lexus you can return it like a new Tesla.) I appreciated the potential accident avoidance the Tesla Model S provides. I really get it. I even bought TSLA stock. As owners, you all probably know this.

So I am determined to get rid of the Lexus and find a low mileage 2020 Model S. I found a Model S Performance with very low miles but learned it had been repaired by Tesla before it was first sold new...right rear fender damage, with no detail on the extent of the repairs. I learned from another case that damage to the left rear fender can hide a very costly repair, enough that insurance will total the car. There are some very costly components hidden by fenders.

Does anyone out there know if given a 2020 Tesla model S VIN # can I find out what Tesla Motors Inc. clearly knows, the abuse that the car has had, and if it can possibly compromise the future warranty of the 2020 car. I have read that Tesla MAY PERHAPS not tolerate what they consider abuse under warranty, perhaps even if the owner is merely demonstrating the acceleration of the car. Can any of you share insight into this? The 2020 I am interested in is at a used car dealer, and they initially told me it had no accident history. and CarFax confirmed that. But when I pushed one of the sales staff at the used car dealer they mentioned that the Model S Performance Model was not what the first owner expected, so he got rid of it, then the second owner sold it, and it still has less than 2000 miles on it in 6 months since new. That salesman also admitted that it has had work done in the right rear, but fixed by Tesla Motors while it was still at Tesla. Before it was even sold to the first owner. It caused me to raise up my CAUTION-ANTENNA.

Tesla Motors Inc. we all know can look at all instances of abusing the car with their 2-way communication to each car, can even review the minute details in an accident, speed, external camera views of an accident, views of the Tesla driver's face before and during an accident. So they must have the ability to create an extremely detailed history of any car's abuse and misuse. Will Tesla share this information with anyone, a potential new owner, any police agency, the courts, attorneys in a lawsuit? Are we even aware of this risk to the warranty byTesla? Is there any law requiring a manufacturer to reveal the accident history while still under their control?

The selling used car dealer had no written records of the 2020 Model S, not even the original list of options. It had been in 2 states owner's hands before ending up in a 3rd used car dealer's hands. They verbally stated it has every option except Full-Self Driving. How do we know if it's history compromises warranty for the rest of the warranty period? If a Performance Model S with Ludicrous + is used at the drag strip, does that compromise the factory warranty? PLEASE, anyone with input would be most welcome to respond.

Cars being repaired before being sold is actually quite common and has no impact on the warranty. I wouldn’t be worried about that, nor would I be worried about warranty claims being denied because the vehicle was drag raced.

I thought I had enough Tesla problems to cure me of the Model S: my 2015 Model S was a handful after the warranty expired at 7,600 miles. I was informed both rear air shocks had to be replaced, along with the steering box. You don't want to know how much... Tesla would not even respond to my letters, so I thought about turning to the NHTSA. Instead, I ordered and canceled a number of 2020 Model S, ate the lost multiple $100. deposits, then decided it was not worth the risk and bought a new flagship 2020 Lexus LS 500 F Sport last Saturday. After owning the Lexus for one day, I realized the salesman BS about the safety aspects of lane-keeping capability was just that...BS.

Compared to the Tesla Model S, even my 2015 version, the 2020 LS 500 F Sport lane-keeping capability is a joke. The lane maintaining features of the new Lexus is as bad as a 4-year-old Volvo. Simply neither can be trusted. It meanders slowly from one road lane-marking to the other, like the Volvo. An observant state trooper would be fully justified in pulling you over to check your mental status. Compared to the Tesla, I just don't trust what else is on the market. Am I wrong? You need to be really ready to grab the wheel at all times, but nothing like a Tesla, which does a really good job, and with FSD has potentially better trustworthiness. And that is the reason I am seriously going to sell the new Lexus and seek out a new Tesla. (I should check if you change your mind about a new Lexus you can return it like a new Tesla.) I appreciated the potential accident avoidance the Tesla Model S provides. I really get it. I even bought TSLA stock. As owners, you all probably know this.

So I am determined to get rid of the Lexus and find a low mileage 2020 Model S. I found a Model S Performance with very low miles but learned it had been repaired by Tesla before it was first sold new...right rear fender damage, with no detail on the extent of the repairs. I learned from another case that damage to the left rear fender can hide a very costly repair, enough that insurance will total the car. There are some very costly components hidden by fenders.

Does anyone out there know if given a 2020 Tesla model S VIN # can I find out what Tesla Motors Inc. clearly knows, the abuse that the car has had, and if it can possibly compromise the future warranty of the 2020 car. I have read that Tesla MAY PERHAPS not tolerate what they consider abuse under warranty, perhaps even if the owner is merely demonstrating the acceleration of the car. Can any of you share insight into this? The 2020 I am interested in is at a used car dealer, and they initially told me it had no accident history. and CarFax confirmed that. But when I pushed one of the sales staff at the used car dealer they mentioned that the Model S Performance Model was not what the first owner expected, so he got rid of it, then the second owner sold it, and it still has less than 2000 miles on it in 6 months since new. That salesman also admitted that it has had work done in the right rear, but fixed by Tesla Motors while it was still at Tesla. Before it was even sold to the first owner. It caused me to raise up my CAUTION-ANTENNA.

Tesla Motors Inc. we all know can look at all instances of abusing the car with their 2-way communication to each car, can even review the minute details in an accident, speed, external camera views of an accident, views of the Tesla driver's face before and during an accident. So they must have the ability to create an extremely detailed history of any car's abuse and misuse. Will Tesla share this information with anyone, a potential new owner, any police agency, the courts, attorneys in a lawsuit? Are we even aware of this risk to the warranty byTesla? Is there any law requiring a manufacturer to reveal the accident history while still under their control?

The selling used car dealer had no written records of the 2020 Model S, not even the original list of options. It had been in 2 states owner's hands before ending up in a 3rd used car dealer's hands. They verbally stated it has every option except Full-Self Driving. How do we know if it's history compromises warranty for the rest of the warranty period? If a Performance Model S with Ludicrous + is used at the drag strip, does that compromise the factory warranty? PLEASE, anyone with input would be most welcome to respond.

Compared to the Tesla Model S, even my 2015 version, the 2020 LS 500 F Sport lane-keeping capability is a joke. The lane maintaining features of the new Lexus is as bad as a 4-year-old Volvo. Simply neither can be trusted. It meanders slowly from one road lane-marking to the other, like the Volvo. An observant state trooper would be fully justified in pulling you over to check your mental status. Compared to the Tesla, I just don't trust what else is on the market. Am I wrong? You need to be really ready to grab the wheel at all times, but nothing like a Tesla, which does a really good job, and with FSD has potentially better trustworthiness. And that is the reason I am seriously going to sell the new Lexus and seek out a new Tesla. (I should check if you change your mind about a new Lexus you can return it like a new Tesla.*) I appreciated the potential accident avoidance the Tesla Model S provides. I really get it. I even bought TSLA stock. As owners, you all probably know this.

* Update: No you cannot return a Tesla unless you pay them with hundred dollar bills and they are convinced they are real. (But then don't they turn you into the IRS for spending 10,000+ in cash?) I was courteous to them when I gave them payment in full, and although I would have brought a bank certified check if they asked me, instead they said "We'll take a personal check" , no need to stop at your bank". After paying, they said they will hold the MSO and other papers until the check clears, which was more than 3 days, so that ruined any opportunity to return it. It was 5 days since they delivered it, and then on the 6th day I discussed the lousy "lane-keep" feature with the service department, after driving it for 40 miles. They said what I described is normal, and that the flagship of the Lexus line, the LS-500 at $90k wasn't like a Tesla, but in the 2021 model year they are going to redo their system and it should be fine then. I asked them to take the 2020 LS-500 back, and they said they would discuss it at the dealership. Next day they called me and revealed their used car manager would take it back and give me $10k less than I paid them, that I could have returned it within 3 days of when I "bought it". In a way, they did me a favor, since I'd rather wait until the 2021 Model S has the new battery technology from Maxwell in China. And if they had taken it back I would have ended up with the last model year that Tesla fitted the old technology battery to the S, which means it will depreciate worse than a used-brick. At least the Lexus holds it's value, they are a well made and respected car. I'll hold onto the LS-500 until the new battery technology and the real working FSD appears on the Model S. It is a more tense experience to drive the LS-500 due to the underdeveloped driver-assistance aids, but what can you do...?

Now back to my original posting:

Does anyone out there know if given a 2020 Tesla model S VIN #, can I find out what Tesla Motors Inc. clearly knows, the abuse that the car has had, and if it can possibly compromise the future warranty of the 2020 car. I have read that Tesla MAY PERHAPS not tolerate what they consider abuse under warranty, perhaps even if the owner is merely demonstrating the acceleration of the car. Can any of you share insight into this? Their latest Terms and Conditions page sounds like they are being much more cautious. The 2020 I am interested in is at a used car dealer, and they initially told me it had no accident history. and CarFax confirmed that. But when I pushed one of the sales staff at the used car dealer they mentioned that the Model S Performance Model was not what the first owner expected, so he got rid of it, then the second owner sold it, and it still has less than 2000 miles on it in 6 months since new. That salesman also admitted that it has had work done in the right rear, but fixed by Tesla Motors while it was still at Tesla. Before it was even sold to the first owner. It caused me to raise up my CAUTION-ANTENNA.