Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 battery warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 with 52000 miles. I have been noticing the health of my battery draining insanely quick. I'm getting 35KWH per 90% to 10% charge with a range of 130-150 miles at 260watts per mile. A friend had similar issues with his 2020 model X prior to it dying in his driveway and having to have the battery replaced.

When I went to Tesla they said they have no way to check the health of the car. I asked about the warranty of a retention rate of 70% and they told me that they don't have the means to test for that either.

i looked online to enter service mode and run the test. I could not "enter" test mode by applying the breaks and using the turn stalk. Am I doing something wrong or can a 2020 S not do it?

How can I have my battery tested if Tesla does not have the means of doing it?

I'm getting 35KWH per 90% to 10% charge with a range of 130-150 miles at 260watts per mile.
Please explain your methodology and data points to arrive at these numbers. How are you measuring? What sort of driving? One continuous trip or many short ones over several days? etc etc etc.

As far as the 70% capacity retention warranty - that's based on displayed rated range. What does your car show for rated range when charged to 100%? That's what you base your degradation off of.

But to sum all of this up: Tesla isn't going to do anything for you based on what you're reporting. Not until the battery actually fails and throws an error code (if there is indeed something wrong).

thank you.

1. This can vary from 1-2 longer trips over 2 days or 8-10 small trips over 5 days. All this info im getting from the trip screen. I had teslafi for a few months to help monitor it and they were pretty darn close. Tesla told me to remove that and it should help.

2. I did for a few months and I noticed no change. I will have to charge to 100% and get back to you.

3. Is there a "way" to report it to Tesla?

If you charge your battery to 100% just before you go for a drive (don't leave your car at 100% charge for long), read the range miles shown. You can also calculate this from the miles remaining and percentage of battery remaining at most any time. The original range should be shown on your factory sticker. A 2020 Long Range + with 19" wheels new "got" 402 miles range. Your 2020 car's new range may be less than this if you have larger wheels, and if it is not a Long Range Plus, which was about 6/2020 and later production. If the shown range is less than 70% of the initial range, you can complain to Tesla that it's degredation is more than Tesla's range guarantee specifies.

Reactions: Thp3
Thank you.

Im going to charge today to 100%. I want to make sure im doing this right. I will charge to 100% and see what the rated miles are on my dash, if that amount is 30% lower then 402 I have an issue? if not my battery is fine??

Ive done this a few months back and average 250 watts per mile (epa estimate) and get around 260. Although my starting range says 400 I never get it. Since that time my battery has depleted further.

Does Tesla have a better way of determining the health of my battery besides this?

I charged up to 100% and it says 330 miles. I put the address in the GPS for my trip and it has me charging at 170 miles (16% battery) for a 220 mile trip. It is also charging incredibly slow. I peaked at 136KW at a 250 station. for the vast majority of the charge i was around 100-90

From what was mentioned here my battery seems to be fine because it charges and claims to get 330 miles?

I hope i am understanding this correctly..

I charged up to 100% and it says 330 miles. I put the address in the GPS for my trip and it has me charging at 170 miles (16% battery) for a 220 mile trip. It is also charging incredibly slow. I peaked at 136KW at a 250 station. for the vast majority of the charge i was around 100-90

From what was mentioned here my battery seems to be fine because it charges and claims to get 330 miles?

I hope i am understanding this correctly..
Oh, I can only dream of those numbers in my 15' 85D. 227 miles is about all I can get mine to read and 100KW is only for a few seconds in single digit charge range. Otherwise mine is roughly 100KW-charge percentage. So like 50KW at 50%.

Is that truly the way they "test" for the battery depreciation?

Why is there such a massive different between "rated" miles and actual miles? Assuming actual miles driven is at or below the EPA rated 250 watts per mile.

I've seen the battery test in service mode videos but my car doesn't have that button. Why is that?

Is that truly the way they "test" for the battery depreciation?

Why is there such a massive different between "rated" miles and actual miles? Assuming actual miles driven is at or below the EPA rated 250 watts per mile.

I've seen the battery test in service mode videos but my car doesn't have that button. Why is that?
This obviously is just an estimate. Tesla, on cars since I think 2020 (maybe a year before?), have a 70% range guarantee. I'd say if your calculations show 70% or less, they will perform their analysis to see if your car failed their guarantee. If simple observation does not show a 70% degredation, and the battery is still otherwise working fine, Tesla will either charge you a diagnostic fee, or encourage you to go away.

Also, if on a mild spring or fall day with temps 65-75, if you go 55mph with the windows up, and don't use the brakes (regen only), you will likely exceed the rated range. On short trips in town, the range analysis in the app shows me beating the rated range on many occassions. However, if you are driving 80 MPH in temps around 32 or lower, you will lose about 30-40% of rated miles. TeslaFi shows I have a 6.05% loss of rated range overall since June, 2020. I think it is less.

I've spoke to 2 different shops near me and both told me that there is no such test they can perform that test but they can tell me that my battery is fine and there is nothing wrong with it. I've provided continuous drive data without stopping showing 260 miles using 95% battery and averaging 225watts per mile. They have defiantly been encouraging me to go away. LOL.

If anyone knows the name of it that would be amazing please let me know.

can I get my car tested anywhere else? For a second opinion?

• Funny
Reactions: DerbyDave
any word on the name of those test? is there anywhere I can go to get my battery tested?

It is frustrating that my car cant travel more then 160 miles without charging for 50-60 mins at a 250 charger then when you bring it up to Tesla, its like speaking to a three year old with a slightly better vocabulary.