Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on if used prices rebound or remain flat after crisis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious if used prices on MX will rebound slightly after the pandemic has run its course and some sort of "new" normal begins to emerge. Its to early to even predict a timeline but I would imagine that the effects of plummeting used auto prices throughout all manufacturers will have an effect on new vehicle prices as well. The used market for vehicles in the US is so much larger than the new market.

Just curious what everyone else was thinking.

• Helpful
Reactions: DelPhonic1
Barring any significant restructuring of the pricing of new Model X units, I expect they will continue to move with the general market conditions. I would not worry about falling gas prices... people don’t buy Teslas BECAUSE they are electric, people buy them because they are high tech, high performance vehicles that HAPPEN to be electric. That’s why every other manufacturer’s EVs flop.

Food for thought on trade in values.
Feb 13th I checked kbb value and got a tesla trade in quote for my 2016 X 90D
April 23rd I checked again, kbb value is about the same maybe 1k less than Feb. Tesla trade in value is $5800 less than Feb value.

I'm very curious on this as well. I think we'll continue to see pretty aggressive pricing on the 75D/90D for the following reasons:

1) Downward pricing pressure from Model Y @ $55K new (You can get a brand new Y w/ better tech then a 2016 used X now)
2) Downward pricing pressure from built up lease inventory (2 months inventory built up)
3) Downward pricing pressure from 100D returns w/ AP 2.0 (we still aren't seeing much if any 2017 100D inventory - it will come soon)
4) Lower gas prices skews TCO slightly in favor of ICE's
5) As more coverage comes out around FSD capabilities, AP 1.0 will fall in demand (so will pricing)
6) Used pricing on 2018 inventory will drive depreciation on pre-tax credit pricing down quicker (2016 inventory listed at $120K, where 2018 listed around $95K for same configs...)

I'm guessing you'll see most if not all 90D inventory sub $50K this summer... 75D inventory sub $47K... w/ 4 year warranty. Hoping to see '17 100D inventory at or below $65K... which is right around where the 7 seater Model Y Performance w/ FSD would cost you new.