Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts On new Solar Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to get thoughts on this render, should everything be on the south side of the roof or is it ok to be on the north side?

tesla Render.png

upload_2020-10-6_19-40-58.png

upload_2020-10-6_19-45-17.png

Which Panel will Tesla be using?

I have other renders from other companies that can do up to 11,966 on REC N-Peak 320W.

Is tesla just under estimating?

Both can't be correct. The Tesla plan leaves spacing (for fire codes) around the edges. The other plan looks like its up to the very edges of the roof and peak.
not all jurisdictions' codes require the spacing. tesla might plan to lowest common demoninator, but show them the plan from the other place ask them to put more on the south.

Both can't be correct. The Tesla plan leaves spacing (for fire codes) around the edges. The other plan looks like its up to the very edges of the roof and peak.

Yep that is correct, it is up to the edges of the roof and peak as I did not know that was a fire hazard.

Do you know which panel Tesla uses, looks from the images that they are using a range.

Yep that is correct, it is up to the edges of the roof and peak as I did not know that was a fire hazard.

Do you know which panel Tesla uses, looks from the images that they are using a range.

Small correction. Not a fire hazard, fire code requirement. So that 1st responders can get up on the roof and work without having to worry about the solar panels getting in the way (see the ridgeline ) when cutting ventilation holes, or being a potential shock hazard.

Thank you. I've been told that panels cab be put over the PVC pipe vents. Is that possible?

I don't know if it would be worth asking Tesla for the possible 12.24k layout or just stick with the 8.16.. My 12 month usage for the last 12 months is 12715.

Thank you. I've been told that panels cab be put over the PVC pipe vents. Is that possible?

I don't know if it would be worth asking Tesla for the possible 12.24k layout or just stick with the 8.16.. My 12 month usage for the last 12 months is 12715.

Not sure about putting vents under panels. Not sure I would want to since it makes them a pain to check for blockage and clean as required. I seem to remember that Tesla will not do that.

You could ask them about more, but I bet they would end up on the North facing roof which is not optimal.

Fire code rules have relaxed depending on the jurisdiction. The street side is the roof face of particular interest to allow a safe clear path for fire fighters to punch an opening at the ridge.

I recommend more solar as future time of use rates are sliding to pay pennies for excess generation making it a challenge to zero out the electric bill. Hopefully energy storage system (ESS) get cheaper over time and not up (I’m talking to you Tesla!... problems with supply/demand). Coming our way gasoline-powered autos may be outlawed.

Last edited:
Fire code rules have relaxed depending on the jurisdiction. The street side is the roof face of particular interest to allow a safe clear path for fire fighters to punch an opening at the ridge.

I recommend more solar as future time of use rates are sliding to pay pennies for excess generation making it a challenge to zero out the electric bill. Hopefully energy storage system (ESS) get cheaper over time and not up (I’m talking to you Tesla!... problems with supply/demand). Coming our way gasoline-powered autos may be outlawed.

Good to know. I will talk to Tesla to see if I can sqeeze any more panels on the south side.

The solar panels that Tesla is using now are the 340W version. The Q-Cells appear to be built by Hanwha for Tesla and are slightly different than the Q-Cell Q.Peak Duo Blk-G6+ you will find on the Q-Cell site. My husband and I think the SC might be a designation for Solar City (anything Tesla would be too obvious). They also seem to be made for the Solar Edge inverter and optimizers and the Zep track system from we could tell, so a more integrated system.