Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thuisladen voor ondernemers: Maxem + TWC vs NewMotion + lolo3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

We just signed the paperwork for our first tesla and as such I'm now doing a bunch of research on various related things. One of the main things is the home charging solution. I have read around here on the forum quite a bit and at first thought I was going to go with a TWC and Maxem combination. However I just bumped into De slimme laadpaal voor elektrische auto thuis and that seems quite attractive for us as business owners (automatic bill+payment from business to private).

My idea now is:

1. Call Stedin to get me 3x25A power with a smart meter (Slimme meter).
2. Get TheNewMotion Home advanced pole with a UTP cable from stedin meter to the pole

Is that correct? Am I missing anything?

I deliberately didn't post in the long charger infra topic as that is such a giant read I figured keeping it simple here is better

You're rather limited with the info.

for item 1. Do you mean, that you get a 2nd grid connection to your house? Or do you mean, upgrade your existing grid connection to 3 phase 25A?

Item 2: TheNewMotion home solution has no need for UTP, as it has GPRS. Furthermore the TNM solution has an MID meter included already.

You're rather limited with the info.
Me being limited with info is because I have no idea what's left and right at the moment, so please ask away :)
for item 1. Do you mean, that you get a 2nd grid connection to your house? Or do you mean, upgrade your existing grid connection to 3 phase 25A?
I read in a post here (Belgium and the Netherlands: Charging infrastructure (Thuis laden)) that upgrading to 3 phase 25A makes sense. My house is an old house from 1975 with a single phase 35A connection right now.
Item 2: TheNewMotion home solution has no need for UTP, as it has GPRS. Furthermore the TNM solution has an MID meter included already.
Oh great, so I don't even need UTP in the meterkast?

I've got a simple charger without any backoffice services and installed a MID certified meter. Once a month I record the kWh's and send a receipt to my company.

Automatic billing is convenient at a cost both one-off for the charger and recurring for the backend services from either Maxem or TNM.

You still need the UTP cable if you want to use the load balancing of the Lolo AFAIK.
The DSMR needs to communicate with the charger.
Please do note that if you are upgrading from 1phase 35a to 3 phase 25a, you also need to change the electrical system in your house. You are absolutely right that the upgrade to 3 phase is the best solution, but as now everything is on one phase, an electrician needs to change that, so everything (including the charger) is nicely devided over the phases.

Furthermore, I would suggest just to start with the standard Tesla charger and the red plug provided. Get your electrician to change everything to 3 phase (after the grid operator confirmed they can upgrade you) and let the electrician make a red plug for you and a mid meter. You can use the same red plug in the future to install any charge stations you would like.

I ended up talking to Willem van Leeuwen from Oplaadpunt voor elektrische auto kopen when I saw someone else recommend him here. He's been extremely helpful and we're now getting a 3x25A solution from Stedin, a UTP cable to the 'meterkast' and an ICU Eve Mini. The main advantage that the EVe mini has over the lolo3 is that there's no monthly cost just to report back the costs between business and private.
I'll report back here with some pictures when it's installed.

Reactions: eelcodb