Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thumping Sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m having a problem with my 2018 S100 D. Has anyone experienced this?

My car is making a thumping sound that appears to be coming from the drivers side. It only thumps while under acceleration. If I take my foot off the pedal it stops. It also does it on AP. Could it be coming from the front motor. Is it an issue that the Ranger can look at?

Dark Cloud: it’s not as pronounced on Low. I had it on standard since the Ranger rotated the tires last week. It’s set to low again.

Sorka: I think it is the CV joints. If it’s that common is it safe to drive at 70 MPR (Freeway)?

Thanks! I really appreciate the info.

Dark Cloud: it’s not as pronounced on Low. I had it on standard since the Ranger rotated the tires last week. It’s set to low again.

Sorka: I think it is the CV joints. If it’s that common is it safe to drive at 70 MPR (Freeway)?

Thanks! I really appreciate the info.

Does it happen at freeway speeds? If so, then it may be a bent shaft, not just a stretched cv joint.

Now you scared him. :eek:

I'm in a different country and not worried about lawsuits. go for it!

I would have no problem driving it. Just do a few slow circles with full steering lock in both directions to rule out something abnormal with the suspension and then gradually take it up to speed with "normal" throttle before you venture out on a big highway.

All I can tell you is that if it is the half shafts, mine will do it everytime on high or standard. It does not do it on low. On standard height the colder it was the more easily it would happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: McMestas
Thanks for that Dark Cloud. I drove it in circles thinking perhaps there was some link loose. I also inspected the wheel well thinking maybe it was rubbing on the tire. All turned out to be normal. I’ll see if it’s less pronounced on higher speeds. It was on standard height. That’s been lowered. Either way I’ve made an appointment for service.

Again, if it is the same issue they will probably tell you the same corporate response they told me:

Vehicle operates normally; just drive it on low.

And then you say " but low wears out the rear tires"

And they say " it is a performance vehicle, with plenty of negative camber, so abnormal tire wear is normal ...."

And you say " but it doesn't say anything in the manual about that driving in low to avoid vibrations and wear on the half shafts?"

and they look at you like a deer in headlights.

If you find it's a pain to switch to LOW every drive cycle, considering installing lowering links to keep your car at that height.

If you lengthen each air suspension sensor link by +6mm the car will be in low position when the setting in car says normal height. And if you select low setting, it gets lower than the low you're used to.

Here's how to 3D print your own set of lowering links, if you follow this thread the designs are posted online. Don't be scared off by seeing the adjustable 3D links starting off in the thread... further down you'll see simple fixed length snap on links in various lengths available including the +6mm
3D printed lowering links

Last edited:
Reactions: McMestas
subscribed....
seems to be very prevalent on the MX and really unclear if there's a permanent fix. I've got an appt with the SC but debating on whether or not to keep it or not. Replacing half shafts and jack shaft seems to only resolve the issue temporarily...

Last edited: