Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Thunk" then "needs service" and less than 1000 miles. Happen to anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Almost new Model 3 which I have been LOVING and gently I'd like to point out. Actually had the thrill of bolting on real license plate 2 days ago, now this. Got in the car to leave yesterday, foot on brake, shifted into reverse to leave garage, heard and felt horrible "clunk", and car is DEAD. Can not use in any function. Was towed this am (not even able to put into tow mode, the guy had to finagle squeezing rear wheels onto a platform, then pry front wheels onto a rolling dolly to get the car to the service center). How could this happen in a brand new car?? West coast, no severe weather, no crazy driving, was careful about charging to less than 100%, etc. Heart broken.

then pry front wheels onto a rolling dolly

Weird, the front wheels should roll freely since the parking brake is only on the rear wheels. Do you have an AWD Model 3? If so, it sounds like something broke in the front drive unit and locked up the front wheels. Unless you are saying he was only lifting the back of the car and then put the dollies on the front wheels so as to not have them turning during towing. (Which is proper procedure when not using a flat-bed tow truck.)

Weird, the front wheels should roll freely since the parking brake is only on the rear wheels. Do you have an AWD Model 3? If so, it sounds like something broke in the front drive unit and locked up the front wheels. Unless you are saying he was only lifting the back of the car and then put the dollies on the front wheels so as to not have them turning during towing. (Which is proper procedure when not using a flat-bed tow truck.)
Couldn't get into "TOW MODE". I think the guy was just using proper tow procedure since not a flat bed.

Yes, AWD.