Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tilting Monitor on S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope they at least make it an option for pre June 22 refresh Model S owners. Best case (and admittedly least likely outcome), Tesla agrees to retrofit for free. Second best case, Tesla agrees to retrofit for some reasonable fee. Worst case, Tesla lies and says it's not possible because it's a new design not built into the older refreshed cars (ignoring the Munro video) to avoid arguing with all the upset early adopters who want it for free.

I saw the tilt feature advertised and it was a factor in my early order. I most likely would have bought the car anyway (and in fact took delivery so that is that) so while I don't mind paying something to get the feature (let me decide), it would be awesome if Tesla took care of this on their dime
I had a lengthy discussion with a service center, via the app. They stated that the Tesla website never offered the tilting function for the refreshed Model S. I sent screen shots, available online, and they got very argumentative stating that these websites post things like that as clickbait. I sent several more from various reputable websites and they insisted I was wrong. I asked if the motors were available to purchase and they said my car did not have the hardware to accept them and that they didn’t have a way to order the parts. I then sent Tesla’s part number and diagram. They just held their ground. Even said that I should not consider modifying it or using third party parts. It was a nightmare discussion because of their hostile presentation of the “facts.” I screen captured the discussion but since there is no way to bypass Service, there’s no way to ask Tesla directly. So I would not expect a retrofit in any event.

• Informative
Reactions: nilesborg
Here is a response I got this week. All roads lead back to the Gateway Config of the vehicle and Tesla Engineerings lack of helpfulness.

D2330147-981C-48AA-853C-6C270BFCAEF1.jpeg

Albeit a cool feature to have, I really wonder how many people actually move it back and forth between different positions. I believe I am the original mule that posted the 'how to' with photos on repositioning the screen, I did it a year ago and would never have touched the buttons again to move it as the angle I have it at is perfect. I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze chasing a retrofit to electrically operated and even if a Tesla Ranger showed up on Christmas Eve and upgraded me for free, I would rotate it to exactly where I have it and never touch it again. My preference of course but I really do wonder how much people would move it once set. I also recognize not everyone is comfortable taking a socket set to the main display on their car thus this would be the only viable option. MHO.

Tesla Engineerings lack of helpfulness.
I understand the frustration and want to get this screen tilt feature. The words "assuming it's just parts and programming" in the question to Tesla seems to over simplify the problem. Those words also describe every system in the car. Tesla's response with a list of parts and software changes is probably only the tip of this retrofit iceberg. It's gotta be complicated, not a simple plug and play. I'm probably wrong here because I only know half of everything. As a possible solution, there is a thread somewhere in TMC where someone fitted a manual gimbal system to the screen.

Last edited:
I understand the frustration and want to get this screen tilt feature. The words "assuming it's just parts and programming" in the question to Tesla seems to over simplify the problem. Those words also describe every system in the car. Tesla's response with a list of parts and software changes is probably only the tip of this retrofit iceberg. It's gotta be complicated, not a simple plug and play. I'm probably wrong here because I only know half of everything. As a possible solution, there is a thread somewhere in TMC where someone fitted a manual gimbal system to the screen.
I reread your screen capture. It was you that provided a list of things to do this retrofit. So you already understand it's not a plug and play thing. It would require a lot of multiple engineering to accomplish this.