Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TIme for a New 'Electric Boats" Forum Category?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish there was enough material for a new category. There are still very few electric boats out there and only some of those are practical. I would love to see a trawler with decent range or a super-cat -- 40'-60' -- that could sail or e-motor. All should be able to make to most of available solar as well.

I wish there was enough material for a new category. There are still very few electric boats out there and only some of those are practical. I would love to see a trawler with decent range or a super-cat -- 40'-60' -- that could sail or e-motor. All should be able to make to most of available solar as well.
The WELLINGTON ELECTRIC Boat Building Company is about to put its first fully electric commuter ferry into operation:

“The fact that we’re sitting here and not having to yell at each other is the advantage over combustion [engines],” says Foote as the boat picks up speed through the light chop on Te Whanganui-a-Tara. About 5½ tonnes of lithium-ion batteries power the 19-metre craft’s electric motor – a faint throbbing of the propellers is the only indication it’s running.

The Wellington Electric Boat Building Company was founded three years ago by Foote, a boat builder with decades of experience, and Ward, the managing director of East by West Ferries.

Well I doubt it gets rid of the two-stroke engine people. Those are the worst offenders out there lately. A billion plus annual hydrocarbon emissions.

The EPA estimates that one hour of operation by a 70-horsepower two-stroke motor emits the same amount of hydrocarbon pollution as driving 5,000 miles in a modern automobile.

I run a two stroke for two hours a year, and I feel really guilty about it.

Buy a canoe. :) I got me 4.

Reactions: tm1v2
Now this is an electric boat :D well, ship..