Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time of Use Supercharging Rates in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This could help... Solar and Batteries would reduce the demand charges and lower the overall cost to Supercharge.

"Elon Musk has long promised that Tesla will deploy solar and batteries to all its Supercharger stations in order to reduce their dependence on the grid. It has yet to happen, and now we are seeing some examples of why it should happen sooner rather than later. There are several reasons why you would want to deploy batteries and solar power at electric vehicle charging stations.

From a financial standpoint, a large part of the cost of running an EV charging station consists of demand charges, which is a higher rate of electricity during surges in demand. The nature of a charging station results in a lot of the operating time at peak level since you can go hours without a car charging, and then there can be five cars charging at once. Batteries would be able to reduce the peak demand to greatly reduce the demand charges, which often account for more than a third of the cost of operating a charger."

Last edited:
Newbie here. How to get the Tesla company alert, if anyone knows, I didn't know the off-peak hour was pushed off 2 hours later. My cost was doubled, which means fewer savings for my wife's gas spending o_O

Thanks 🙏
The peak/off-peak hours should be accurate in the nav of your car so you can see the price (if not on the unlimited) of any nearby supercharging any time there. It seems to have gone up to .29/.58 now from .24/.48 earlier this year.

I had no idea peak Supercharging rate was that high. 48 cents per kWh is the equivalent of 12 cents per mile. Assuming ICE cars run at 30 mpg, this Supercharging rate is equivalent to a $3.6 per gallon gas price. In the early days of Covid, driving a gas car was actually cheaper.

I had no idea peak Supercharging rate was that high. 48 cents per kWh is the equivalent of 12 cents per mile. Assuming ICE cars run at 30 mpg, this Supercharging rate is equivalent to a $3.6 per gallon gas price. In the early days of Covid, driving a gas car was actually cheaper.
That's only if you ONLY supercharging at the highest rate period. Most people could get lower rate charging at home at certain hours or at supercharging at lower rate period. I think on average, it would be closer to 25c / kWh

That's only if you ONLY supercharging at the highest rate period. Most people could get lower rate charging at home at certain hours or at supercharging at lower rate period. I think on average, it would be closer to 25c / kWh
Ok 25 cents is reasonable. Ladwp charges 20 cents so this really isn’t much more. EVGo charges much higher base rates.

Here in WI, they charge per min, and the rates are going as high as $1.20/min, which sounds high to me.
1657168253568.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Here in WI, they charge per min, and the rates are going as high as $1.20/min, which sounds high to me.
View attachment 825675
Is there a law in WI that EV charging has to be per min? It seems to me that they are converting the per kWh rate to per min. I think the bottom rate (highest) one is the beginning of the session when you are more empty so it was charging faster so you get charged a higher rate. Then at the top, the charging curve slows down so you get charged a lower rate. They are still charging you per kWh, but breaking it down into a per min curve. That's just my guess.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Is there a law in WI that EV charging has to be per min? It seems to me that they are converting the per kWh rate to per min. I think the bottom rate (highest) one is the beginning of the session when you are more empty so it was charging faster so you get charged a higher rate. Then at the top, the charging curve slows down so you get charged a lower rate. They are still charging you per kWh, but breaking it down into a per min curve. That's just my guess.
The time charge definitely looks different. I wonder if they are factoring the demand charge. Commercial electricity charges can factor in a demand charge for not only how many kWh you use, but also how fast you use them. I understand this is cover the electric company extra costs needs to use to hook up a high draw customer.

You guessed it right. The highest (Tier4) is for charging above 180kW.

• Informative
Reactions: Need
They snuck another change to the hours in California. It must have happened today or yesterday. Kind of got burned on this today since I sent someone to charge my car thinking it was off peak before 11 am and after 9 pm. Turns out it’s now before 9 am and after 10 pm. A little warning would have been nice.
Here is the previous rate structure... I wonder if Tesla made additional changes beyond the 11 am - 9 pm hours?

Following is the list of Tesla Supercharging costs per kWh during peak and off-peak hours:

HoursSupercharging Rates
12am – 11am$0.29/kWh
11am – 9pm$0.58/kWh
9pm – 12am$0.29/kWh
Tesla Supercharging costs in California (per kWh, last updated 15th May 2022).