Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time to settle things - lowering springs and bump stops

For those of you using lowering springs, did you trim the bump stops?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolutely agree that they couldn't verify any problem was caused by not trimming bumpstops. However, too many manufacturers look for an excuse to not warranty things and I just rather follow manufacturer's instructions and not take that risk even if, as you say, it really doesn't make a difference technically speaking. Saves a potential argument and takes away a potential excuse that could be used.
They are coil springs for gods sake. Your shocks and struts will blow out before anything ever happens to the springs. You guys are way overthinking this.

They are coil springs for gods sake. Your shocks and struts will blow out before anything ever happens to the springs. You guys are way overthinking this.
I've purchased 2 sets of springs from different manufacturers that were defective which the manufacturers acknowledged and replaced. One of those manufacturers replaced with no questions asked but the other tried their hardest to decline my warranty claim citing incorrect installation. Since for the set of springs where they didn't want to honor the warranty I showed a bill showing it was installed by my car manufacturer's dealer, they gave in. Springs can and do have problems but agree at a much lesser likelihood than dampers.

Last edited:
We still get this question often, so we went ahead and measured the rate at every increment of compression of the OEM bump rubbers. The piece that is getting trimmed off does nothing except locate the bump rubber before it is compressed, so we can definitively say that it doesn't matter whether you trim it or not. The effective spring rate of the bump rubber skyrockets with compression too.

More info here: Suspension Tech - Firmer But More Comfortable? How Can That Be? | Mountain Pass Performance

Sorry to bring this up from the dead. Does this mean that on any lowering spring it doesn't need to be trimmed at all?

Fwiw I have Eibach springs on my M3P and I asked the shop to follow the directions upon install and trim the bump stops. My personal observation is that general daily ride quality is about the same as stock. This probably doesn’t answer the question specifically but basically following the directions has not resulted in any noticeable issues for me. I do notice some harshness on imperfect roads but I had that before as well. My personal view is to follow the manufacturers instructions.

What’s your source? Eibach has been making springs for decades. Why wouldn’t I trust them on this? Not trying to start an argument but if you are going to make a statement like that please back it up.
Because they likely didn't dyno the bump stops or consider that into designing their springs(less R&D involved). On most late model car these days there is no longer a "bump stop", but rather a "progressive spring rubber" to increase spring rates as the suspension reaches that point of compression.

I was speaking to another member on here with eibachs. He wasn't aware that the rears needed to be trimmed so he didn't. Rode around for a while without any issues. After I mentioned that eibach recommended trimming, he went and did the rears. He now says that it rides much better and was for sure riding on bump stops in the rear.

Reactions: Lindenwood
I was speaking to another member on here with eibachs. He wasn't aware that the rears needed to be trimmed so he didn't. Rode around for a while without any issues. After I mentioned that eibach recommended trimming, he went and did the rears. He now says that it rides much better and was for sure riding on bump stops in the rear.
This was me. I installed the springs myself and trimmed the front bump stops while I had the springs off the struts. I put the rear springs in and didn’t see the bump stops. But at the same time I figured no big deal because I use a bike rack with 2 bikes regularly and was worried about bottoming out. I was pushed a little to trim the rear and I am glad I did. Much smoother ride all around better and no bottoming.

I highly recommend trimming them as in the Eibach instructions and would logically assume anyone else lowering with any brand springs do the same even if not instructed by that brand.

Sure if you have 2500 versus 650.
??? Costs? For less than $1600 I have coilovers, megan racing rear camber arms, install and alignment...and no worries about bump stops, shocks going to junk, height or ride issues.

Think that is pretty reasonable...not spending $1800 for MPP or UPP just to have their fairy dust sprinkled solution on my car when all the above does the same I need it to for less.

Springs are going to run you more than $650....$350+ for spring install around where I live, compared to $550 for coilovers...and alignment is whatever, needs to be done whatever, so you are really only about oh....$700 more in my estimate for a few off brand coilovers to get way more for your money and avoid all the issues and problems with just springs. I know it is the cheap way to lower your car and get a "better" ride...but as soon as you are on a reasonable set of descent coilovers, and can set the height exactly where you want, and can control dampening...it is a big difference worth the extra money.

Money no object, buy whatever coilover you want, MPP/KW or whatever if you are tracking the car. Waste otherwise for street use for 99% of people IMO. want. But it can be done for way less than $2500, few of us have very good results with some off brands like Riaction or Megan racing coilovers. Rest of stories on here from naysayers is all hearsay about you get what you pay for on coilovers...sure..conjecture and no proof or first hand experience otherwise.

But do what you want. Springs are a temp fix and might hold you over the life you own the car....or shocks might blow, ride height and other issues could pop up..who knows. Chance you take modding any car for that matter.

This was me. I installed the springs myself and trimmed the front bump stops while I had the springs off the struts. I put the rear springs in and didn’t see the bump stops. But at the same time I figured no big deal because I use a bike rack with 2 bikes regularly and was worried about bottoming out. I was pushed a little to trim the rear and I am glad I did. Much smoother ride all around better and no bottoming.

I highly recommend trimming them as in the Eibach instructions and would logically assume anyone else lowering with any brand springs do the same even if not instructed by that brand.
Got mine installed yesterday. Trimmed both. I swear it feels a little smoother than stock.

Agreed. Takes the harshness out of the quick road reflector type bumps. Firmer on the rolling bumps. Can feel the progressive rate.
Got some miles on it now. I’ve had many lowerred cars over the years. This is easily the best when it come to other cars I’ve driving with springs only. Highly recommend the eibachs. I don’t have the front rake that some talk about.
27869552-3E3C-4EE0-AE77-563C377A68C1.jpeg

Reactions: Foxjordan22
Got some miles on it now. I’ve had many lowerred cars over the years. This is easily the best when it come to other cars I’ve driving with springs only. Highly recommend the eibachs. I don’t have the front rake that some talk about.
View attachment 705545

I recently had Eibach Pro kit plus installed on 2021 model 3 Performance and the the front is nearly half inch higher then the rear. Spoke with Eibach and they say to make sure bump stops are trimmed, that front could be sitting on bump stops not allowing car to lower all the way in the front. I'm going to take back to installer but other then the ride height difference car rides great so wouldn't figure its riding on the bump stop.

Spoke with Eibach and they say to make sure bump stops are trimmed, that front could be sitting on bump stops not allowing car to lower all the way in the front.
I really can’t see you sitting on the bump stops while parked. It’s a pretty easy check….simply get a hefty guy to push down on the front and see if it rebounds. For you to be sitting on the stops, your front would be tucked.