Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint door windows, but not rear window?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of my Model 3 and living in Az tint is usually an absolute necessity. Are most of the tints ceramic and thus not an issue with cell phone reception? Anyone have a recommendation for % and which windows to tint for the Az sun?
Thanks

Just took delivery of my Model 3 and living in Az tint is usually an absolute necessity. Are most of the tints ceramic and thus not an issue with cell phone reception? Anyone have a recommendation for % and which windows to tint for the Az sun?
Thanks
Typically middle and high end tints are ceramic. Low end is not. Do you have black or white interior? Are you planning on tinting the windshield or the rear window as well? Do you want it to look dark or just be practical?

Typically middle and high end tints are ceramic. Low end is not. Do you have black or white interior? Are you planning on tinting the windshield or the rear window as well? Do you want it to look dark or just be practical?
Looking for practical and am willing to tint whatever I need to achieve. Also, do the accessory removable screens for the skylights make sense to purchase?

So I'm going with the nuclear option here and getting the whole back glass replaced by Tesla to reset to no tint. :(

I actually had the tint redone once already for other issues, and I think the experience from doing that made my tinter hesitant to take it off, even though I offered to pay. I tried reaching out to someone else in my area but did not get a response as well.

As pretty as the back glass is, I wish it was a bit more practical in terms of design from a maintenance perspective (like the hard to reach corners and such).

There's a cost, and though not cheap, it was less than what I had in mind, so I'm going to move forward with it. Lesson ($$$) learned...

Again, this is on me, as I know others don't mind those lines, but it bothers me enough, especially since my previous car did not have this issue due to a variety of factors (tint type, glass angle, defroster line thickness, etc.)

Last edited:
Looking for practical and am willing to tint whatever I need to achieve. Also, do the accessory removable screens for the skylights make sense to purchase?
Do you have white or black interior? For black you could probably do 35 on the sides, the sunroof removable shade, and 80 on the front and call it a day. For white interior I think you may want a little darker on the sides. For that I would say 25 on the sides (just because it’s easier to see in), sunroof removable shade, and 80 on the windshield.

If thats not enough then consider the back window. I recommend using the cabin cooling mode or cracking the windows though as a final step before deciding if you want the back tinted. Also a removable sunshade on the windshield when you are parked will help too.

Really I want to see a removable shade for the back window just like tesla has for the front sun roof. That would be excellent

I did 40% on side windows, 70% on front windshield. Intended upon doing 50% on rear window, but installer had delay in trying to get the bigger film to do it all in once piece (I did NOT want that line for a half back window tint). While waiting weeks, turned to 2 months, for the installer to get the rear window tint... I realized you don’t need any tint on that rear window. The untinted part is so small. Looking at it directly from the rear, it is a very short part that is not tinted. I ended up cancelling the rear window tint. You can only tell it was not tinted if you are looking for it because the standard tint on most of the rear window is already so dark.

Plus side is that the pre-tinted part of the back window does not become twice as dark.

Personal preference. I highly doubt that small part of the back window if not tinted would contribute much to heating the car.

Reactions: ElectricGhost
I only had the 6 side windows tinted with Spectra Photosync 45% as I hadn’t figured out where to put the Blackvue rear dashcam yet. Additionally the 45% is not to dark so not to much of a side to rear variation. After getting the car back I decided just to leave the rear window stock. I like the factory color from the inside and more than 1/2 the rear window is already tinted. Sides only tinted:

View attachment 337580

View attachment 337582

Stock:

View attachment 337581
Can you confirm the pics are of 45% tint? That looks darker than 45% to me. My tint shop is telling me they want to do 45%, and I want 35%. They say, with the factory coloring, the addition of 45% will keep total light above the legal limit of 35%.