Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received quotes from two different installers with good reviews for MY windows tinting.
Both quoted the same tint XPEL PRIME XR+.
In the Chicago area:
On all sides and rear, $699.00
On the windshield, $200.00

In the WI area: on all sides and rear, $765.00
Windshield $890.00

WI installer is closer to me, and the price difference for all sides and rear is reasonable.
But I cannot understand the price difference for windshield 200 vs. 890?
I tried to negotiate the windshield price, but they answered that it's complicated to do windshields, and they cannot make it cheaper.
I'm a bit confused with the hefty price difference for windshield between the two installers (they both have good reviews on Google Maps).
Any ideas, what might be a reason for that? I'm looking for a quality installer, but $890 for the windshield sounds too high.

I received quotes from two different installers with good reviews for MY windows tinting.
In the Chicago area:

Windshield $890.00

WI installer is closer to me, and the price difference for all sides and rear is reasonable.
I tried to negotiate the windshield price, but they answered that it's complicated to do windshields, and they cannot make it cheaper.
I'm a bit confused with the hefty price difference for windshield between the two installers (they both have good reviews on Google Maps).
Any ideas, what might be a reason for that? I'm looking for a quality installer, but $890 for the windshield sounds too high.
Every shop out here charges about $250 for the front windshield.

Reactions: eugenege
In the Chicago area:

Windshield $890.00

$890 just for the windshield means either they don't want to do it or don't know how to do it or both.
Stay away from that shop.

I just redid the tint on my car today. I had the front passenger and driver way to dark, so had them replace it with 50% CTX ceramic and I have better visibility for me now! And the quality heat protection still. Need it here in Pasadena.

Oh if you need tint in Pasadena or So Cal G5 tint is the best. No affiliation they just get lots of my money.

Original job was $365 out the door for all front 2 doors and passenger doors and tint back glass. Didn’t do the trunk window yet because my wife thinks it is too dark already :-/

Im in SoCal, had 55 installed on the front window and the next day was stopped for having the front tinted. I knew going in that it was illegal in CA, just didn’t expect to get stopped the next day. I still have it on, for another week, then removing and getting signed off by CHP. Will be going with 70, almost clear, still illegal, but I’ll risk it.

Im in SoCal, had 55 installed on the front window and the next day was stopped for having the front tinted. I knew going in that it was illegal in CA, just didn’t expect to get stopped the next day. I still have it on, for another week, then removing and getting signed off by CHP. Will be going with 70, almost clear, still illegal, but I’ll risk it.
55% on the windshield will definitely get cop's attention. Anything below 70% will be very noticeable.

I have a white MY with white interior and got 35% XPEL XR + installed on the front windows. I wouldn't say I liked the tint as it has a blue hue. My windshield is not tinted, and the interior looks lovely, with bright white sits when I look inside the car through the windshield. But looking through the side windows, the interior gets a noticeable blue tinge, which takes away the white interior's beauty. Also, looking through the driver window with a blue hue while driving reminds me of a computer display with a blue tint. On the rear windows+trunk window, the installer put 70% XPEL XR +. Because those windows are dark glass at ~20% VLT, it's difficult to say if 70% tint added some blue tinge. I want to do the windshield, but I don't know if the 70% XPEL XR+ also has a blue hue.
XPEL XR+ tints are popular, and I wonder if you experienced the same issue with the blue hue?

Last edited:
If you have white interior I'd recommend 25%. I have 30% ceramic all around and it is way too light, meaning you can see everything thru the front side windows.

This. If you can find 25% VLT film (I can't find anyone that carries it in Central Florida) its a perfect match for the OEM rears shade wise. Ceramic films tend to add a slight blue/green shade to the film, so if a perfect match is what you're wanting I'd recommend a color stable dyed film on the fronts.

Find an attorney with connections and pay for sign off.