Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting Front Windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone put clear tint film on the front windshield? History is I live in Las Vegas and we need to protect from the summer heat and sun. There are almost no sun screens yet for the MY but several places here in town are putting clear tint on the front windshield to reduce heat transmission and reduce the UV rays. Question is can it be done safely?

Reactions: SMC-tx
Has anyone put clear tint film on the front windshield? History is I live in Las Vegas and we need to protect from the summer heat and sun. There are almost no sun screens yet for the MY but several places here in town are putting clear tint on the front windshield to reduce heat transmission and reduce the UV rays. Question is can it be done safely?
I added 70% XPEL Prime XR+ to my windshield, my tint shop did a fantastic job, very happy and it does seem to make a difference

I had 70% XPEL Prime XR+ on my X3 and my dad has it on his Model 3. I just dropped off my MY to get it installed today. Huge difference in the Florida sun, just make sure you have a tint installer that has done Teslas so they do not apply too much solution which can drip down and cause havoc with the instruments. I remember seeing some horror stories about cheap tint shops messing up Teslas.

• Informative
Reactions: aburrows
I had 70% XPEL put on yesterday. I’m picking it up later today! I live in SoCal and the summer heat is starting to crank up. I’ve never added tint to the windshield of any car before so I’m hoping that I notice a significant difference. My tint shop provided me with a loaner a Model 3 and it has the 70% tint on the windshield. I like the cockpit view so far and believe it’s reduced heat while parked in the sun.

I had 70% XPEL put on yesterday. I’m picking it up later today! I live in SoCal and the summer heat is starting to crank up. I’ve never added tint to the windshield of any car before so I’m hoping that I notice a significant difference. My tint shop provided me with a loaner a Model 3 and it has the 70% tint on the windshield. I like the cockpit view so far and believe it’s reduced heat while parked in the sun.

Where did you have it done? I’m in OC and just picked mine up today so tinting is next!

I ended up going with Formula One Stratos 70 for the front windshield, which looks to be comparable to Xpel Prime XR Plus 70. Both films are stated to possess nano-ceramic particle technology. Tint installation was performed at G5 Tint Shop in Pasadena, CA. See the performance/specification data links for both products below:

http://cdn.llumar.com/drupal/formulaoneautomotivespecifications2018september.pdf

https://www.xpel.com/web-assets/downloads/XPEL-PRIME-Spec-Sheet-USA-V2-1.pdf

Does the Xpel tint cause any rainbows with polarized glasses? I want to get it installed but worried about that... but then again maybe don't need sun glasses anymore??

Also, anyone in a state that installs vehicle registration stickers on the front windshield? Curious what you do about that?