Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tiny paint chip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

user212_nr

Aug 26, 2019
US
I noticed today a very small (<1mm) paint chip. I thought it was a bug, but after trying to wash it off found that it was the aluminum under the car rather than something on the car.

It is not noticeable, but it is exposed metal, and I wouldn't want it to corrode.

Tesla paint repair kit (Paint Repair Kit) is $70 and that sounds like a lot.

This Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty applies to repairs that are not provided under goodwill or not otherwise performed by Tesla free of charge, and provides a limited lifetime coverage on body and paint repairs performed by Tesla. The limited lifetime body repair warranty includes repairs for cracking, flaking, pitting, and deterioration of body parts but excludes damage caused by rust. The limited lifetime paint repair warranty includes repairs for peeling and cracking of paint or topcoat, and loss of gloss caused by hazing.

Exclusions
  • Corrosion and paint defects caused by, due to, or resulting from accidents, paint matching, abuse, neglect, improper maintenance or operation of the vehicle, installation of an accessory, exposure to chemical substances, or damages resulting from an act of God or nature, fire, or improper storage;

I suppose part of my question that I forgot to ask is, if any of this is covered under warranty. As long as it won't corrode, I probably won't do anything, but I'd be interested to know if the warranty covers this sort of thing.

From what I can find (quoted above) looks like it would be covered.

I've never seen a manufacturer warrant their paint against chips. You most likely caught a rock or something and I can't imagine they would fix that for free.

I would imagine not, but I've had cars with 100k miles and don't recall any paint chips (though I did not examine so carefully).

Just reading the text, it says "excluding accidents" and "improper maintenance or operation of the vehicle".