Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tipping installers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tipping expectations has become somewhat of a sore spot with us. Regardless of the service provided, we tip anywhere from 5% (to send a message) or 25% depending on the SERVICE provided. What annoys us is that in America mainly (and some other parts of the world), it has become expected as routine. They have forgotten the main reason for tipping.... "exceptional service", not to supplement the salary of a person because their employer is cheap. Yes, I do know that some jobs DEPEND on tipping. Been there, done that. The thing that drives us nuts is FORCED typing at some restaurants where if you have maybe 6 people, they want 18% to 20% more. Then I saw a tour guide for Disneyland that automatically silently adds 25% to the cost of the tour in order to tip the guide (no choice, you must pay it). Cruise ships automatically adding it unless you specifically opt out and choose to tip individually (which is what we do).

Sorry to get on this rant, but it is just a reminder how bad things have gotten. This is one reason why we like travelling to South Korea. NO TIPPING and NOT expected. For exceptional service we do it anyway, and even then, they sometimes refuse it and might even get insulted. Employers pay them more with the expectation they will not be tipped.

Ok, to answer your question. When we moved here, we bought lunch and dinner for the movers and gave them a tip for a great job. For the solar installers, we bought them lunch each day. That courtesy goes a long way toward them wanting to go a bit further to do a good job. There was no cash tip. I haven't heard that one yet.

This crazy culture where everyone expects a tip is nuts. Nowadays, many fast food restaurants ask for a tip on the credit card receipt. Total BS.
Oh gosh, you got me started again, mentioning something I forgot...… The local buffet automatically adding a tip at the START of the buffet. I tell them no, I have cash for a tip and it is going to depend on the service. I hope people don't think we are cheap. It is more about the principle. We usually tip more than typical, but you can bet that if service is rude, it's going to be 0 !

And yes there was a time I worked for tips in high school, but even as stupid as I was being a teenager, I realized there are people whom can't really afford a tip, retired, social security, etc. Mom told me that. There were a few occasions where if I saw they were placing a cash tip, were elder and didn't have particularly nice clothes, I would think about Mom and tell them "thank you for thinking of me, but your tip really isn't necessary." So even today, if the server is elder, I will always tip them well as they can probably use it since they are working. They are usually nicer anyway.

Ok I promise to stop. :D It's a good question I hadn't thought about.

Reactions: VT_EE
The thing that drives us nuts is FORCED typing at some restaurants where if you have maybe 6 people, they want 18% to 20% more.

Going off topic here from what the OP's asking, apologies.

A bit perspective but not an excuse. I'm a partner in a restaurant and we have this policy. We did NOT do this for over 6 months after opening but had to implement it to protect our wait staff. Reason: a very high percentage of this demographic (large dining group) CHOSE to pay a much lower than 15% tip, some even paid $0. We don't know the actual reasons in every case but suspect either people have a mental block paying 20% on a $500 bill vs. 20% on a $60 bill, or expect someone else in their group pay that tip, etc, the point is we didn't know for sure. In addition, large groups also tend to hang around a LOT longer to occupy our tables after they finish the meal, thus cutting into our table turns, so we HAD to protect the wait staff's earning or we'd lose them (as in they'd quit) since they'd get fewer tables to make their income on that particular night. Our restaurant is based on volume business, so table turns is very important to provide a stable income to the wait staff, especially on popular weekend nights where the wait can be 1-2 hours during rush hours. Our single biggest operational pain by far is being able to keep staff around, so we had to do everything to make sure they are happy.

FWIW, I hate this tipping culture as anyone who has posted here as I travel internationally for work often and have received far greater services in areas where tipping isn't the norm vs. in America where better service was the ORIGINAL design concept behind tipping.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Going off topic here from what the OP's asking, apologies.

A bit perspective but not an excuse. I'm a partner in a restaurant and we have this policy. We did NOT do this for over 6 months after opening but had to implement it to protect our wait staff. Reason: a very high percentage of this demographic (large dining group) CHOSE to pay a much lower than 15% tip, some even paid $0. We don't know the actual reasons in every case but suspect either people have a mental block paying 20% on a $500 bill vs. 20% on a $60 bill, or expect someone else in their group pay that tip, etc, the point is we didn't know for sure. In addition, large groups also tend to hang around a LOT longer to occupy our tables after they finish the meal, thus cutting into our table turns, so we HAD to protect the wait staff's earning or we'd lose them (as in they'd quit) since they'd get fewer tables to make their income on that particular night. Our restaurant is based on volume business, so table turns is very important to provide a stable income to the wait staff, especially on popular weekend nights where the wait can be 1-2 hours during rush hours. Our single biggest operational pain by far is being able to keep staff around, so we had to do everything to make sure they are happy.

FWIW, I hate this tipping culture as anyone who has posted here as I travel internationally for work often and have received far greater services in areas where tipping isn't the norm vs. in America where better service was the ORIGINAL design concept behind tipping.
A good perspective and I appreciate it. Table turns issue makes sense and cuts into profits. BUT why not call it a "group surcharge" instead of a tip? :) A tip implies something very specific to me and implies it should always go to the server. Maybe I just don't understand the mentality of a tip. I would understand a surcharge and then probably put a little more as a tip. It sort of reminds me that when gas prices were real high some years ago, delivery services added a "surcharge" for fuel. They didn't call it a tip, else I would have thought it was for the driver. Just slap me silly if I got this all wrong :D

A tip implies something very specific to me and implies it should always go to the server. Maybe I just don't understand the mentality of a tip. I would understand a surcharge and then probably put a little more as a tip. It sort of reminds me that when gas prices were real high some years ago, delivery services added a "surcharge" for fuel. They didn't call it a tip, else I would have thought it was for the driver. Just slap me silly if I got this all wrong :D

I think JFChenger meant that the mandatory tip or surcharge went to the server (not the owners) as a guarantee that they did not work a table for an hour without getting any tips. Restaurant tips have become an expected component of compensation. As such, I think in many places wait staff can be paid below minimum wage based on the estimated tip component bringing them above minimum wage. I have heard of 2 dollars/hour wage in some places.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Here’s a thought: pay the staff a real wage and get rid of the tips. Anything expected is not a tip, but a fee. I get really annoyed when I’m in a state that requires restaurants to pay the wait staff at least minimum wage and the staff still expects 20%. Tipping has become just another hidden fee for a country that seems to love and cherish hidden fees.

Reactions: cr0ntab and Darwin
I think JFChenger meant that the mandatory tip or surcharge went to the server (not the owners) as a guarantee that they did not work a table for an hour without getting any tips. Restaurant tips have become an expected component of compensation. As such, I think in many places wait staff can be paid below minimum wage based on the estimated tip component bringing them above minimum wage. I have heard of 2 dollars/hour wage in some places.

Not to go further off-topic on this whole societal issue of tipping, I'll just confirm that this is correct, all our tips go to waitstaff. The 18% isn't to help the restaurant's bottom line at all (we actually take a hit on these large dining groups on a per diner basis for various reasons), it's to protect the wait staff's income consistency when they have to work big tables that take up their assigned tables for 2x+ times on busy nights.

On waitstaff "minimum wage" point, "A tipped employee engages in an occupation in which he or she customarily and regularly receives more than $30 per month in tips. An employer of a tipped employee is only required to pay $2.13 per hour in direct wages if that amount combined with the tips received at least equals the federal minimum wage. If the employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 per hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference."
- Tips | U.S. Department of Labor