Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips for getting used to single peddle driving/regenerative braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new and just wanted to bump this thread to say thanks for the advice provided. I test drove an M3 for the first time over the weekend and it was my first experience with regenerative braking. I will be ordering in April and think I will try out Creep mode in the beginning just to get used to it (used Standard during the test drive).

Some folks have likened it to their previous manual transmission vehicles. I have always ever driven automatic, any other tips for that kind of driver?

... Some folks have likened it to their previous manual transmission vehicles. I have always ever driven automatic, any other tips for that kind of driver?
It’s like automatic plus. :) I can understand why some might find it takes a bit of getting used to, but it didn’t take me that long. I still haven’t quite finessed it to the point where I can just glide up behind a stationary vehicle in front like I did in cars without it, but I’m getting there.

I am new and just wanted to bump this thread to say thanks for the advice provided. I test drove an M3 for the first time over the weekend and it was my first experience with regenerative braking. I will be ordering in April and think I will try out Creep mode in the beginning just to get used to it (used Standard during the test drive).

Some folks have likened it to their previous manual transmission vehicles. I have always ever driven automatic, any other tips for that kind of driver?
My wife uses Creep. I hate it, so I use Hold. It is similar to manual if you constantly drove in 2nd gear, like an autoX (most of my cars have been manual).

The amount of braking force and the level of control just by modulating your throttle is amazing. I drive a PHEV ICE everyday and the lack of braking force and the excessive need to use the brake pedal makes me feel unsafe. The Tesla one-foot driving capability is life changing.

Just stop lifting your foot and concentrate more on the incremental slowing as you barely ease off the throttle. Your foot never actually leaves the pedal.* You just change the amount of downward pressure. You'll be used to it after a day.

*be aware of every situation. There are times in an emergency or when I don't have enough travel distance where I still apply the brake pedal.