Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips on how I averaged~190 wh/mi for 17,000 miles (so far...)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
mt M3 was bought in Jun 2019......i was getting around 155-179 wh/mi until i got first upgrade to 2019.20......then got the upgrade to 2019.24.4......dropped to 225-250......then got 28.2 and went to 270-325.......then got 2019.32......it dropped back a little to around 250......driving habits are the same.....AC with fan auto and speed around 45-65 depending on traffic......hoping it gets better....i charge to 80% about every other day and add 100 to 179 miles....

mt M3 was bought in Jun 2019......i was getting around 155-179 wh/mi until i got first upgrade to 2019.20......then got the upgrade to 2019.24.4......dropped to 225-250......then got 28.2 and went to 270-325.......then got 2019.32......it dropped back a little to around 250......driving habits are the same.....AC with fan auto and speed around 45-65 depending on traffic......hoping it gets better....i charge to 80% about every other day and add 100 to 179 miles....

I’m curious to know if your Wh/rmi (rated mile) has been changing with these updates. If it did, that would suggest the meter might simply be reading differently. If not, then there would seem to be some underlying efficiency change, assuming similar driving, temperatures, and AC use.

Unfortunately, unless you specifically measured it in the past, there is no way to know...

I’m curious to know if your Wh/rmi (rated mile) has been changing with these updates. If it did, that would suggest the meter might simply be reading differently. If not, then there would seem to be some underlying efficiency change, assuming similar driving, temperatures, and AC use.

Unfortunately, unless you specifically measured it in the past, there is no way to know...
yes i kept a chart......it has been changing with the updates......driving conditions are really about the same .......maybe a little more around the house driving by my wife, but i normally drive......before was little cooler than the last week or two being in the mid 90s as opposed to low 80s.....ac was auto......ill bet it will normalize here in a week or two...just got 2019.32 on Tuesday

Definitely no magic cars here. I think I'm at 172 lifetime. Mostly highway but heavily varied (all leisure/trips/errands, no consistent commute). Granted only 1300 miles total so far.

Here is a curiosity, I have yet to experience. How much does cold temps, say 30degs vs 70, have on efficiency if you DO NOT USE climate control at all? Is it that much of a hit just for a cold battery? Is it 5wh/mi or 40wh/mi? I never really understood the need for heat in a car. (I hardly used it in my ice even though it was free) You should already be dressed for the elements, and in a car you are out of the wind so its warmer to begin with.

I don't expect my wh/mi to drop that much in winter except when accommodating those picky passengers.

Last edited:
Definitely no magic cars here. I think I'm at 172 lifetime. Mostly highway but heavily varied (all leisure/trips/errands, no consistent commute). Granted only 1300 miles total so far.

Here is a curiosity, I have yet to experience. How much does cold temps, say 30degs vs 70, have on efficiency if you DO NOT USE climate control at all? Is it that much of a hit just for a cold battery? Is it 5wh/mi or 40wh/mi? I never really understood the need for heat in a car. (I hardly used it in my ice even though it was free) You should already be dressed for the elements, and in a car you are out of the wind so its warmer to begin with.

I don't expect my wh/mi to drop that much in winter except when accommodating those picky passengers.

You don’t need to “dress for the elements” if you travel from home to work, parking inside a garage at home and a parkade at work. Kinda like saying why heat your house or your workplace when you can just dress for the elements. If you are not spending any time outside, or just 5 seconds to enter your car, you don’t need to wear a snowsuit or parka :)

I noticed around ~8-16 Wh/mi (5-10 Wh/km) improvement going from mildly cool spring temperatures like 59-68°F (15-20°C) to warmer temps like 77-86°F (25-30°C).

What are your winter temps like? You may be surprised by the efficiency hit, even if you don’t use heat. I would expect a further loss of efficiency going to near freezing vs the cool spring temps that I saw the higher consumption in. I’d guess another 15 Wh/km even without cabin heat. So say around 40 Wh/mi.

Also don’t discount the fact that even if you “didn’t use heat” in your ICE, your cabin temperature still benefited from those thousands of explosions in the motor giving off a ton of heat :)

If the temperature drops low enough, the car will heat the battery, even if you don’t want the cabin heated ... so that will cost you further efficiency as well. You’re probably getting to > 40 Wh/mi hit at that point.

I’m expecting my range to get hacked by at least 25-30% for winter.

You don’t need to “dress for the elements” if you travel from home to work, parking inside a garage at home and a parkade at work.

Fair enough I suppose. I'm never in that situation, but I think I'd still be grabbing a jacket just in case, things happen. Wearing a nice jacket while driving is not uncomfortable or burdensome.

I live in Chicago, IL currently. Don't plan to drive a ton in the winter, especially if temps approach zero, no need to take a car out in that except in rare situations, and yes I'd use the heat then.

Also don’t discount the fact that even if you “didn’t use heat” in your ICE, your cabin temperature still benefited from those thousands of explosions in the motor giving off a ton of heat :)

Understood, it definitely heats it up at highway speeds, but that takes a while, 15 mins of driving if it's real cold.
If the temperature drops low enough, the car will heat the battery, even if you don’t want the cabin heated ... so that will cost you further efficiency as well. You’re probably getting to > 40 Wh/mi hit at that point.

Dang. Well, we will see. Good thing I don't drive much in the winter currently. But I can see that changing if I move to a place that has fun stuff to do in winter. (skiing)

I am getting some higher efficiency drives now but I'm still looking for patterns. I have noticed in the downpours we get in South Florida the efficiency goes down quite a bit. Maybe by the time you add up the extra power used by the headlights, the windshield wipers, possible head winds and driving through constant water puddles on the road it makes it less efficient.
And, one of the major factors, the rain itself is a constant resistance to motion.