Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire alternatives for the 19"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just shopping around, looking at different tires, and I noticed plenty of alternatives that I can buy, rather than the official Tesla ones. The owners manual says they are of size P235/40R19

What other tires would you guys recommend?

Reactions: drewpost
Why hello - i have been researching the crap out of this and would love to share some of what i've learned haha

It really depends on what kind of driving you plan to do and where you live (assuming NC?). Do you want only one set of wheels/tires that stays on all year? If so, you likely can't get extreme summer tires since you will likely have some freezing temps/winter weather.

In my case, i want ultimate performance for track use and am running Bridgestone RE-71R tires which are basically one of the most track ready, street legal tires you can get - but they are ONLY for summer use, wear out in 10-15K miles and are rough/noisy.

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S that comes stock on the P3D is another great tire for summer use that isn't quite as aggressive as the RE-71R and is much quieter and smooth, but gets easily torn up under hard cornering like you see on the track.

Are you thinking just a good general purpose tire that you leave on all year or perhaps something sportier? You can get just about any tire in the size you need, so lots of options :)

Here are two fantastic resources for learning about tires btw:
Tyre Reviews
www.tirerack.com (can filter tires by size plus has good reviews)

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and Treasure
Why hello - i have been researching the crap out of this and would love to share some of what i've learned haha

It really depends on what kind of driving you plan to do and where you live (assuming NC?). Do you want only one set of wheels/tires that stays on all year? If so, you likely can't get extreme summer tires since you will likely have some freezing temps/winter weather.

In my case, i want ultimate performance for track use and am running Bridgestone RE-71R tires which are basically one of the most track ready, street legal tires you can get - but they are ONLY for summer use, wear out in 10-15K miles and are rough/noisy.

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S that comes stock on the P3D is another great tire for summer use that isn't quite as aggressive as the RE-71R and is much quieter and smooth, but gets easily torn up under hard cornering like you see on the track.

Are you thinking just a good general purpose tire that you leave on all year or perhaps something sportier? You can get just about any tire in the size you need, so lots of options :)

Here are two fantastic resources for learning about tires btw:
Tyre Reviews
www.tirerack.com (can filter tires by size plus has good reviews)
This is very informative! Thank you so much for the insight! I'm planning on simple all year tires, I won't be taking my RWD out on the track any time soon :)

This is very informative! Thank you so much for the insight! I'm planning on simple all year tires, I won't be taking my RWD out on the track any time soon :)

I'd suggest the Vredestein Quatrac 5, it's available in 235/40/19 and has very good reviews: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...=Quatrac+5&partnum=34YR9QT5XL&fromSurvey=true

Here's a video talking about all-season tires, the Vredestein is more of a dry/wet all-season and has less winter performance than others but i think that would be perfect for NC weather. Vredestein is discussed about 6:30 into the video

• Helpful
Reactions: Treasure
I'd suggest the Vredestein Quatrac 5, it's available in 235/40/19 and has very good reviews: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...=Quatrac+5&partnum=34YR9QT5XL&fromSurvey=true

Here's a video talking about all-season tires, the Vredestein is more of a dry/wet all-season and has less winter performance than others but i think that would be perfect for NC weather. Vredestein is discussed about 6:30 into the video

Your suggestion is actually exactly the one I was looking at on TireRack. I'm a huge fan of that price too :). Thanks so much!

If you end up with all -seasons (which are reviled, but that is another conversation) consider Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Professional reviewers have suggested that they perform better than all-seasons have any right to.

You'll have to jump up to a 245 tread width, but there is no real harm unless you prefer the stock almost stretched look.

If you are willing to put up with a speedo that's off by less than 1%, you can also look at the 245/40R19 tire size.
Second this, makes a huge difference in handling as the load range is higher and it will ride just as well as stock maybe slightly better as you will have a tad more sidewall, you will take a small hit in range from the wider tire though

My pick for all season is also Michelin AS3+ as I have ran them before and they perform very well, I replaced worn PSS tires with these and it blew me away how well they handled for all season tires
Summer only tire would be Michelin PS4S

Last edited:
Report back on how your new tire choice impacts range, very interested to see.. Also sound since those tires won't have that big chunk of foam sound reduction in there
Might be a while, as I only have 2k miles on my new Model 3! I was interested in the future as my fiancee needs new tires for her BMW 4 Series, so I was just shopping around :).

Thank you everyone for the help!

I've heard that Low Rolling Resistant (or LRR) tires are ideal when replacing the stock Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires that came with the car. How important is this to the noise level? And do LRR tires tend to wear faster that non-LRR tires?
LRR tires come in many types of tires, you can get the pilot sport ps4s tires that are a high performance summer tire with a wear rating of 300 or approx. 30,000 mile tire life or other all season tires up to a 740 UTQG or an expected 74,000 mile rating.

LRR tires do not equate to being more quiet then non LRR tires nor does this rating have anything to do with wear, this designation is solely for describing a tire that should provide for a lower rolling resistance in its category and should equate to better gas milage or in our case extended range.

As a general rule of thumb the higher the UTQG rating the tire, the lower the rolling resistance as a softer tire compound will wear faster and handle better but will increase rolling resistance.

It is all about the balance you wish to have on your car, some people want max range and will give up some of the traction for this and others would give up max range for better handling and traction.

Great thread, thanks for the information, gents. The Continental all-season tires that came stock on my P3D- seem to be pretty good tires for my purposes. Out here in the desert, we don't get any snow, and the winters are pretty mild. So I think when the time comes I'll be replacing the stock tires with another set of the Conti's, unless the tread wear on them turns out to be poor.

Although it would be nice to replace the OEM's with tires that don't have the acoustic foam in them. I'll trade a little road noise for the ability to use Tire Slime in the event of a flat. I do carry a very nice plug kit, with rubber cement, various sizes of vice grips, side cutters, and an air compressor, but having to use a plug kit when the tire is still mounted to the car can be a bit of a hassle. Using a Tire Slime type of product is a nice alternative to have, but requires tires that don't have the acoustic foam, of course.

There have been some guys reporting success with using Tire Slime on tires that have the acoustic foam, but it's a hit-and-miss proposition. I've read that when you put a Tire Slime type of product in a tire that has the acoustic foam you end up with a wheel that's far more out of balance than using the Slime in a tire that doesn't have the acoustic foam in it.

I do a lot of interstate driving, far from home in the wee hours of the morning, so flat management is a major consideration in choosing tires for me.

Great thread, thanks for the information, gents. The Continental all-season tires that came stock on my P3D- seem to be pretty good tires for my purposes. Out here in the desert, we don't get any snow, and the winters are pretty mild. So I think when the time comes I'll be replacing the stock tires with another set of the Conti's, unless the tread wear on them turns out to be poor.

Although it would be nice to replace the OEM's with tires that don't have the acoustic foam in them. I'll trade a little road noise for the ability to use Tire Slime in the event of a flat. I do carry a very nice plug kit, with rubber cement, various sizes of vice grips, side cutters, and an air compressor, but having to use a plug kit when the tire is still mounted to the car can be a bit of a hassle. Using a Tire Slime type of product is a nice alternative to have, but requires tires that don't have the acoustic foam, of course.

There have been some guys reporting success with using Tire Slime on tires that have the acoustic foam, but it's a hit-and-miss proposition. I've read that when you put a Tire Slime type of product in a tire that has the acoustic foam you end up with a wheel that's far more out of balance than using the Slime in a tire that doesn't have the acoustic foam in it.

I do a lot of interstate driving, far from home in the wee hours of the morning, so flat management is a major consideration in choosing tires for me.
I actually think the stock Continentals that came on my 19" sport tires were quite good, I replaced them at about 19k miles and they had plenty of tread left so I sold them to a TMC member for $350.

I wanted to go wider and chose the Continental DWS06 in a 255/40/19 and the difference is night and day, WAY better handling with the wider tire and higher load range, more comfortable ride and better wheel protection with the larger sidewall, speedo reads spot on instead of a little fast, only drawback is at 19k miles I was at 248 wh/mi and the new tires with 14k miles on them are at 267 wh/mi or about a 7 to 8% range hit.

Based on my research for an equaled performance replacement 19" tire, with longer life, the Continental purecontact LS appears to be a good option, with good reviews.

Quiet riding, longer life (70,000 mile advertised), good handling, matched or better efficiency.

I'm not looking for a racing or snow tires, just straight replacement.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier