Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P All-Season Setup?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my first Tesla at the end of June. It’s a 2023 M3P with summer tires on 20” Uberturbines. I’m a Michelin fan from my Mustang GT days but I’m still happy with the stock Pirelli’s, I hit 3.3s all day over 70% SOC and never get any tire spin. But I live in Michigan so need to start looking for some all-seasons to swap out in the fall. I’ve finally decided on going with a second set of wheels, some 19” wheels but not sure what width wheels and what size tires to go with. The tires will be either PS A/S 4 or Contis EC DWS 06+. Does anyone have any size recommendations? My main care is grip on launches without sacrificing 0-60 times. I want to stay with a square setup but I’m torn between 235/40r19 (-.4% from stock diameter), 245/40r19 (.8%), and 265/35r19 (-.8%). I know wider will hurt range and of course heavier will hurt range and acceleration. Does anyone have any insights from their experience with an M3P on all-seasons they can share?

Plenty of threads comparing the AS4 vs the DWS06+ tires.

235 or 245s will fit fine. 265 for an A/S tire isn't that great for winter driving compared to the other 2 widths. I ran 255/35/20 on my car, though

Both tires are A+ in their categories with VERY little difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindenwood
Thanks. Yeah. I’ve seen a lot of threads on tires. That’s why I narrowed it down to those two. I only found one thread talking about launch grip of non-summer tires. I didn’t really trust it though because it was saying the crossclimate 2’s never slip on dry. I find that hard to believe because they are B traction rated.

I always drive on all-season tires, currently Continental, with my Model 3 SR RWD.

But if I were a driver who wanted a Model 3 Performance, I would use all-season tires only in my worst dreams. The M3P is made for driving at the limit, and that's what only summer and winter tires support. I'm surprised that someone who has bought an M3P even brings up the question.

I always drive on all-season tires, currently Continental, with my Model 3 SR RWD.

But if I were a driver who wanted a Model 3 Performance, I would use all-season tires only in my worst dreams. The M3P is made for driving at the limit, and that's what only summer and winter tires support. I'm surprised that someone who has bought an M3P even brings up the question.
It’s a valid question. I have a lot of experience with performance cars just not all wheel drive performance cars. So I don’t know how the M3P handles launching in non-summer tires. But the reason I would never go winter tires is because the way I drive if there is no snow on the ground I would tear them up quick as hell, maybe even tear chunks or flatten patches. And even though Michigan has a fair bit of snow, I live in a fair sized city so the streets are usually plowed to where the pavement is exposed 90% of the time. I would destroy winter tires or be forced to drive less spirited. Ultra high performance all-season tires are phenomenal tires that allow you to drive spirited in those scenarios but still allow you to creep home on a couple inches of snow when the weather catches you off guard, lol, been there. Where I live its not about snow so much as it’s about temperature. If I could drive on summers in the winter I would but they turn into hockey pucks between 55-40 degrees and if you aren’t careful and the temperature drops below 30 they can crack and won’t be covered by warranty. So I usually get about 5 months on summer tires and about 7 months on all-seasons. I have a 4x4 truck to drive when the roads aren’t plowed and that literally is only about 5-10 days a year where I live.

MP3 isn't traction limited even on the mentioned AS tires in this thread. I've tried many times. Lateral grip, OTOH, will not be as nice as summer tires. However, winter performance tires will also not be any better outside of snow. You shouldn't be pushing the lateral limits at high speed in snow anyway, unless you're on an open airfield or something. Wet traction on the Contis DWS06+ isn't too far off from the PS4S I run in the summer (and I imagine on the same goes for the Michelin PSAS4).

So, running "HPAS" tires on the MP3 isn't a stupid idea. They have their place for our cars, and I ran the Conti DWS06+ tires in 255/35/20 for 2 winters while grinning ear to ear.

Good to hear not traction limited. Not that I didn’t enjoy squawking the tires once in a while on my Mustang GT but this M3P is a different animal and if the tires are squawking you’re getting there a second or two slower, lol. A muscle car is supposed to be obnoxious. They used to tell me it wasn’t loud enough but I refused to put thousands into replacing a perfectly good exhaust system just to get 3 more hp and 30 more decibels plus scaring old ladies at the bus stop isn’t cool.

When you go to the 255s does it pull up on the computer as an option? I’m used to 255s in my previous cars but wasn’t sure if it would counter speed with weight and drag. I needed the extra contact patch on my muscle cars to be able to launch with minimal slip.

Good to hear not traction limited. Not that I didn’t enjoy squawking the tires once in a while on my Mustang GT but this M3P is a different animal and if the tires are squawking you’re getting there a second or two slower, lol. A muscle car is supposed to be obnoxious. They used to tell me it wasn’t loud enough but I refused to put thousands into replacing a perfectly good exhaust system just to get 3 more hp and 30 more decibels plus scaring old ladies at the bus stop isn’t cool.

When you go to the 255s does it pull up on the computer as an option? I’m used to 255s in my previous cars but wasn’t sure if it would counter speed with weight and drag. I needed the extra contact patch on my muscle cars to be able to launch with minimal slip.
No option for 255. I just selected the track package wheels (245s), and the speedo was close enough.

Cool. Yeah and i know people warn about stability control being affected but my research of that over the years it needs to be a pretty significant difference between the 4 corners and/or expected diameters. If you haven’t tripped and codes or warnings its all good!

I am also coming from a mustang gt. While i was upset tesla swapped the Michelins for Pirellis, it was not that big of a deal because i was always going to down size to 18s. I can only sing praises for the ps4s that i had on the mustang. I also had the all season 4 put on 18s on the mustang and the grip they provided was on par with the ps4s. Of course if you drive 8-9/10s you will find their limits over the ps4s. My only complaint was that the all season 4 had a tread rating to 45k. My tread wore out in under 15k miles. ( they gave me a credit towards a new set) Despite knowing this I bought the all season 4 for my model 3 performance and i love them. I see consumption of about 240-260watt hours/mile daily driving. I have roughly 4k miles on them now and life time is at 255watt/mile.

The tire is loud, but coming from a mustang its nothing.
Hope this helps you,

Yeah it does help. Thanks! Yeah I’m not as worried about hearing the tire rumble either. Quiet can be nice sometimes, especially after a stressful day at work but I never had such a quiet car before anyway. As long as it’s not like driving my 4x4 where is sounds like you have wheel bearings going out whenever you drive it, lol.