Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Pressure / Cold Weather / Mileage ... !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked our M3P up back in June, here in Florida, so we've had mostly warm weather up until a few weeks ago. Got a low tire warning (from just one), just 1-2 lbs under what I assume is the warning trigger (looks like around 35 lbs or so?).

I aired them up cold to 40 PSI (in the garage, where it's usually low 60s), and that puts me at 44 PSI on the highway, with a light-to-moderate weight load (a few rollers, me and the two girls).

So over the last couple of months, I've made the trip from home to the Orlando airport (MCO) several times: same directions, I tend to keep it about 5 over so roughly the same speed. Before I aired up, I had been parking (always the same place near the Hyatt) at 45-46% remaining. With the higher (i.e., proper) tire pressure I arrived the last two times at 53%. So definitely a notable difference, and these last two trips I also ran the heater for a bit (maybe 15-20 minutes here and there), so the actual gains are very likely even better (given the hit from the heater).

So I guess check those tire pressures with the cold weather, get a good gauge, enjoy the extra XX miles of range :D

Side note: the Deltona/Wawa SuC is really terrific, lots of food/drink options, close to 95/easily accessible, plenty of space, kind of isolated so a nice place to chill for 10-15 minutes (and I've seen it a bunch over the last two months ...) The Daytona Beach SuC has more chargers, but it's a good mile off of 95 and in a Target parking lot that's a bit of a clusterf*** ...

Similar for me up in WI. My pressures had dropped to 37 cold last week and I put them back up to 42 cold over the weekend. Efficiency is a bit better but I also think the ride is maybe better and handling is of course better.
Also, verified all pressures with a very accurate hand gauge.

Side note: the Deltona/Wawa SuC is really terrific, lots of food/drink options, close to 95/easily accessible, plenty of space, kind of isolated so a nice place to chill for 10-15 minutes (and I've seen it a bunch over the last two months ...) The Daytona Beach SuC has more chargers, but it's a good mile off of 95 and in a Target parking lot that's a bit of a clusterf*** ...
Wawa and Sheetz are great places for Supercharging.

I was all excited for the 3 new Sheetz stations that opened in Central Ohio. Nice stores, but there are plenty of other nice gas stations that have food to order and tons of snack (I know because I buy lottery tickets, lol).

Not that I need it, but none of these 3 have SuperChargers or any EV chargers. :^( I also did not see anything on their website that talks about EV chargers.

I was all excited for the 3 new Sheetz stations that opened in Central Ohio. Nice stores, but there are plenty of other nice gas stations that have food to order and tons of snack (I know because I buy lottery tickets, lol).

Not that I need it, but none of these 3 have SuperChargers or any EV chargers. :^( I also did not see anything on their website that talks about EV chargers.
Not all Sheetz will install a Supercharger, it's usually ones that are close to an Interstate or major US Highway.

Reactions: Massive Attack

Yeah, we've got a new Wawa going in on SR-16, just off of / east of, I-95, and there's a nice new bank of SuCs already installed (not active yet, assuming it will open when the store/station does).

There's 6 over on the west side of 16/95 at the outlet malls, older 150kW models, assuming these are V3.

Woot!

FCYzjilXoAMXKPJ

Similar for me up in WI. My pressures had dropped to 37 cold last week and I put them back up to 42 cold over the weekend. Efficiency is a bit better but I also think the ride is maybe better and handling is of course better.
Also, verified all pressures with a very accurate hand gauge.

Hahaha, my "Florida cold" isn't in the same ballpark as Wisconsin, probably even more important for you to be really diligent with tire pressure, keep that part as optimal as possible (since I'm sure you'll be cranking up the heater :D)

Hahaha, my "Florida cold" isn't in the same ballpark as Wisconsin, probably even more important for you to be really diligent with tire pressure, keep that part as optimal as possible (since I'm sure you'll be cranking up the heater :D)
PA cold is somewhere in the middle. I usually have to put some air in around November.
We rarely get below 0F/-18C here and my garage usually stays about 40F/5C. A battery at that temp was enough to limit regen on my previous Model S cars, and probably will be enough to do the same on my eventual M3P.

PA cold is somewhere in the middle. I usually have to put some air in around November.
We rarely get below 0F/-18C here and my garage usually stays about 40F/5C. A battery at that temp was enough to limit regen on my previous Model S cars, and probably will be enough to do the same on my eventual M3P.

Yeah, we were just in PA last week back and forth between Irwin and the McMurray area, family visit/business, wife is originally from that area. Had a tiny snow flurry on Saturday morning, the Daughter was bummed she didn't get to see more.

That was enough for me :D