Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vinny1717

Oct 18, 2022
AZ
I recently purchased a 2018 S P100D with 21” wheels. I noticed the front and rear are different sizes. A couple questions for the group:

*can I change to 20” or 19”?

*can all 4 tires be the same size?

I assume the smaller tires would be better for range. I had a ‘21 Performance 3 with the 20” and loved them

Thanks in advance

Smaller rims don’t change efficiency. Narrower tires do. Smaller rims tend to have narrower tires. But the compound of the tire is critical on efficiency too. You can have a narrower 19” tire do worse than a wide 21” but that is rare. Taller rims tend to be more performance leaning tires available.

Go to Tirerack and it will show you what options for OEM tires square and staggered is recommended.

Upvote 0
I recently purchased a 2018 S P100D with 21” wheels. I noticed the front and rear are different sizes. A couple questions for the group:

I assume the smaller tires would be better for range. I had a ‘21 Performance 3 with the 20” and loved them

Thanks in advance
You have what is known as the "staggered" wheel setup. First thing I did after buying my car is take off the 21" staggereds and put on 19". No lack of handling or fun factor here :) Yes, there are many who have gone with 20" for the balance of "big looks" yet durability and possibly more efficiency due to, on top of the reasons given by mswlogo above, less rolling mass.

Just use the search function at the top right of this page and you will find dozens of old threads on the issue.

Upvote 0
You have what is known as the "staggered" wheel setup. First thing I did after buying my car is take off the 21" staggereds and put on 19". No lack of handling or fun factor here :) Yes, there are many who have gone with 20" for the balance of "big looks" yet durability and possibly more efficiency due to, on top of the reasons given by mswlogo above, less rolling mass.

Just use the search function at the top right of this page and you will find dozens of old threads on the issue.
Thanks. What is the full tire number on the 19’s you switched to?

Upvote 0
Thanks. What is the full tire number on the 19’s you switched to?
These: there are others in the classifieds here (amongst the majority of model 3/Y ads...)

19" Silver Slipstream wheels with tires

Or as mswlogo suggested if you plug in your vehicle in Tirerack it will give you the OEM sizes:

Screen Shot 2022-10-18 at 6.45.52 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: mswlogo
Upvote 0
Yes, you can run 19 inch wheels . If you want to keep it OEM size, the tire size is 245/45R19 and wheel size is 19x8 ET40.

That's called square set up, and yes you can do that.

Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions, happy to help

Eddie @ GYW

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: dark cloud
Upvote 0