Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire recommendations w/tread to reduce stone throwing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just switched back to my summer wheels/tires (20” uberturbines on stock rubber) and was quite surprised at how much debris the stock tires tend to kick up. It’s night and day versus the snow tires I had on my 19” winter rims. I barely ever heard that happen on the 19’s where every surface I drive on with 20’s is nothing but rocks bouncing off the car.

Part of that is likely that the 20’s are wider but I’m betting on the tread being the biggest factor. Has anyone else noticed this? Did you go with a new/different tire and notice a reduction in noise in the wheels wells? I can’t help but cringe every time I hear it.

I added some rally armor mud flaps back in the fall to help with rock chips and stuff, but if new tires will cure 90% of it, that would be a worthwhile investment (imo). Has anyone else noticed this?

Just switched back to my summer wheels/tires (20” uberturbines on stock rubber) and was quite surprised at how much debris the stock tires tend to kick up. It’s night and day versus the snow tires I had on my 19” winter rims. I barely ever heard that happen on the 19’s where every surface I drive on with 20’s is nothing but rocks bouncing off the car.

Part of that is likely that the 20’s are wider but I’m betting on the tread being the biggest factor. Has anyone else noticed this?

Yep.
Grippier tires grip better. Everything. Including loose debris on the ground.

It's not the tread - it's the grippier rubber that provides higher grip with the road, and thus higher performance and safety for you and your car!

Did you go with a new/different tire and notice a reduction in noise in the wheels wells? I can’t help but cringe every time I hear it.

It's the sound of performance.
If you are a car guy, you will quickly learn to appreciate it.
If you are not a car guy, then off to the PepBoys cheapo tires specials isle you go!

I added some rally armor mud flaps back in the fall to help with rock chips and stuff, but if new tires will cure 90% of it, that would be a worthwhile investment (imo). Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes, and it's all good.

Just wait till you ride in cars with R-comps.
Summer tires' debris pickup will be nothing in comparison!

a

Reactions: CCopperpot