Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Rotation Intervals

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife has 6500 miles on her Model 3.....Its time, according to Tesla, to have tires rotated.....I read somewhere that Tesla used to do it free, now charge $125 and that some people use Discount Tire because they will do it free betting you will go there to get tires when needed....

Anyone have any suggestions on when and where to have this done? and do they require balancing and front-end alignment

thanks in advance for any suggestions

I went to Discount Tire route. Not only is it free and I do it every 5,000 miles but the last time I was in the friendly discount tire employee suggested I come in every 3,000 miles since Tesla's tend to chew up tires. And here I thought I was being a nuisance coming in every 5,000 miles but he's right, our Model S pigs are chewing through tires at a rapid pace.

I went to Discount Tire route. Not only is it free and I do it every 5,000 miles but the last time I was in the friendly discount tire employee suggested I come in every 3,000 miles since Tesla's tend to chew up tires. And here I thought I was being a nuisance coming in every 5,000 miles but he's right, our Model S pigs are chewing through tires at a rapid pace.
I thought it was Discount...But I called one in Lake Forest today and they told me it would cost $60 for the MS and the M3.......Do they offer the free rotation for free or do you have to ask for it to be free?

...balancing and front-end alignment

thanks in advance for any suggestions

Any competent person can do your Tesla tire services.

The special procedure is they need to avoid impinging against your main battery.

Sometimes balancing weights on the tires would come off, so you might need balancing again.

If the worn treads seem to be expected, you might not need 4-wheel alignment.

There are places that would check the alignment and print it out for free whether you would do an alignment with them or just to skip it.

I've been driving Teslas for several years. As you noted they used to do tire work at no charge but recently started charging. Once they did start charging the local service center suggested I try Discount Tire. Free seasonal tire swaps. Free flat repairs, Free inspections and rotations. They send an email when rotations might be do but only actually do the rotations if they inspect and feel rotation is needed. Manager said they do lose money on all the free stuff but hope being nice like that will have folks coming back to buy tires (which I have). I recommend them.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I've been driving Teslas for several years. As you noted they used to do tire work at no charge but recently started charging. Once they did start charging the local service center suggested I try Discount Tire. Free seasonal tire swaps. Free flat repairs, Free inspections and rotations. They send an email when rotations might be do but only actually do the rotations if they inspect and feel rotation is needed. Manager said they do lose money on all the free stuff but hope being nice like that will have folks coming back to buy tires (which I have). I recommend them.
did they just do it when you came in or did you have to ask for free rotation and balance

I thought it was Discount...But I called one in Lake Forest today and they told me it would cost $60 for the MS and the M3.......Do they offer the free rotation for free or do you have to ask for it to be free?
I bought the tires there. You have to buy tires somewhere (regularly with these cars) so why not get them from the place that does all of the other services for free?

I use America’s Tire and their rotations are free. They also do a nice job on Tesla tire replacements. 28592 Marguerite Pkwy, Mission Viejo is great, but I’m sure there is one closer to you.