Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire tread wear on original 18” aero wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi y’all!
I got 8k miles on my M3 LR with summer tires on. OEM Michelin Pilot Sport 4 T0. Just measured the tread depth and it’s 5mm. Even wear F/B.

I can’t find what the orgininal tread depth is on a new set of these tires.

Worried that they’re wearing a bit too quick?

I do not have a heavy foot, I drive quite boring :)

Last edited:
Image for ref.

Attachments

• 373BD927-EF95-46EF-9175-3C430B7452CA.jpeg
    373BD927-EF95-46EF-9175-3C430B7452CA.jpeg
    677.5 KB · Views: 155
I have the SR+ my rear tires wear at at least twice the rate of the front. I got an "excessive treadwear" warning from the computer. I've had 3 sets of tires they all have done the same.

Stock MXM4
Winter - Hakkapolita R3
Summer - Falken Azenis

I'm at 13K and my OEM's are probably a month or two away

I rotated mine at about 6K

i have a thread up. i'm not surprised these tires wear out fast and expect my new sport summer michelins i'm gonna put on will wear even faster.

don't go cheap on tires and don't neglect them with any performance car. I'm an ex BMW person so the tire thing is part of the game. I tried putting on cheap tires and wow was that a mistake. completely ruined performance

if you don't want to deal with tire headaches then get a toyota or something like that.

Reactions: tm1v2
Hi y’all!
I got 8k miles on my M3 LR with summer tires on. OEM Michelin Pilot Sport 4 T0. Just measured the tread depth and it’s 5mm. Even wear F/B.

I can’t find what the orgininal tread depth is on a new set of these tires.

Worried that they’re wearing a bit too quick?
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...8PS4XLAC&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes says that the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (T0 Tesla) 235/45/18 starts with 9/32" tread.

5mm is about 6.2/32", so you appear to be wearing off 1/32" about every 3k miles. This means that you have about 6k miles (14k total) before you get to 4/32" (consider replacing if you are going into a wet season) and about 12k miles (20k total) before you get to 2/32" (the legal minimum in the US and similar to the 1.6mm legal minimum in Sweden).

If this model of tire is bought aftermarket (not with a new car; in many cases, treadwear warranties are not applicable to tires that come with new cars), the treadwear warranty is 20k miles or 6 years. So it looks like you are getting the expected tread life out of your tires.

Reactions: Me30
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...8PS4XLAC&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes says that the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (T0 Tesla) 235/45/18 starts with 9/32" tread.

5mm is about 6.2/32", so you appear to be wearing off 1/32" about every 3k miles. This means that you have about 6k miles (14k total) before you get to 4/32" (consider replacing if you are going into a wet season) and about 12k miles (20k total) before you get to 2/32" (the legal minimum in the US and similar to the 1.6mm legal minimum in Sweden).

If this model of tire is bought aftermarket (not with a new car; in many cases, treadwear warranties are not applicable to tires that come with new cars), the treadwear warranty is 20k miles or 6 years. So it looks like you are getting the expected tread life out of your tires.
All right, thanks for the clarification – makes total sense!