Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switch to all weather tires or invest in a rim + winter tire setup?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the good clarification. There are some all-weather tires here in Germany that rank among good winter tires in tests and have the marks that allow them into mountain roads that are blocked for summer tires in winter. Typically they are a bit weaker on dry roads in summer, i.e. their braking distance is a bit longer than that of good summer tires, but not enough to deter me.
For an EV there is the added issue of achieving low rolling resistance, which is both more important to EV range than ICE range, and also more in conflict with the other parameters physically. The famous Michelin Cross Climate 2 is the best all-weather tire but experience of Tesla drivers show a significantly less efficient drive.

Hankook is making an iON (EV) tire as an all-weather (all-season EU designation) version, the Flex Climate, which is available in EU but not USA.

Reactions: XPsionic
Where i live, we require tires with the M+S designation for routes when driving up to ski mountains and on certain out of town highways. All season tires don't fit the bill but the all weather tires like the CC2 do. How many km/miles did the CC2 last you?
cheers!
In the US, all-season tires are those with M+S, indicating some snow and ice capability (but generally a lot less than with winter tires). Some, like the Michelin CrossClimate2, have the 3-peak-mountain-snowflake symbol normally found on winter tires, though severe duty winter tires could have better winter capabilities (but worse when there is no snow or ice).
multipleArticles_mountainSnowflake.png