Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire/Wheel scraping after new powder coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We recently had the stock wheels on our model x powder coated. We noticed after picking up the car, some rubbing noises on the front passenger wheel/tire. Other threads mention rubbing due to different sized tires. I double checked that the tire were on correctly (larger in rear) but is it possible that the tires went on the wrong wheels? Maybe too thick of powder coating that is scraping off? Any suggestions or others with similar issues? Thanks in advance.

We noticed after picking up the car, some rubbing noises on the front passenger wheel/tire
If you heard rubbing and continue to hear it, there is a good chance there is evidence of the rubbing. Look on the both the wheel and tire, both on the outside and inside (will have to turn lock-to-lock a few times) as well as look on the felt liner on the wheel well and suspension pieces for signs of rubbing.

It's absolutely possible but unlikely for a qualified shop that they put the wrong wheel but the right tire. In most cases, MX have 9" wide wheels in the front and 10" at the rear. They could have put the one or both of the 10" in the front but you would notice that the tire looks "stretched" on the rim if they did.

@jmaddr thank you for the reply. I checked for rubbing and see just a little scraping on the inner part of the wheel, but no tire rubbing. Crazy to think that the clearance on these electric motor/wheel is so small. I’ll double check for “stretching” - I’m hoping the powder coating was just a little built up on the inside - although the shop who did it claimed they do two Teslas a week? Go figure!