Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Different Diameter Tires on Front and Rear Axel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently ordered snow tires and new wheels for my MYP as well as the MPP 1.75" lift kit. (a similar set up to what is discussed in this thread).

I got slightly wider and larger diameter for the rear axel vs the front axel (255/60R19 rear vs. 245/55R19 front), mostly for aesthetic reasons. I'd like as large tires as possible. Other threads here suggested not exceeding a certain diameter for the front tires to avoid rubbing, but rubbing shouldn't be an issue for tires on the rear axel.

However, after ordering, it occurred to me that I don't know much about the drive system on Teslas. Other threads seem to suggest that having non-stock diameter wheels could affect the Speedometer, among other systems.

So my question is: has anyone tried different diameter tires on the different axels? Were there any issues with the set up? Or, would anyone anticipate issues with the setup?

Using tiresize.com comparison there is a 4.5% diameter change.
I wonder if this might confuse the Traction Control.
Maybe the TC will try to slow down a wheel using a brake?

Imperial values

Model Y - Snow Tires - Different Size - inch mph .jpg

Metric values

Model Y - Snow Tires - Different Size - mm kph .jpg

Last edited:
There's no mechanical reason why you can't run different-diameter tires. The drive systems aren't physically linked like conventional ICE-powered cars, so you can't burn out clutches by turning at different speeds.

The Model Y Performance comes with staggered factory wheels with different diameters. The rears are 0.6" taller than the fronts. Watts_Up makes a good point about clearance and possible TCS confusion, but I don't think a 4% difference alone would do it. If they clear, I'm guessing it would be fine.

@TomB985 you might be right, the issue with Traction Control
would be for different tire size on the same axial, like with a spare tire.

Also when taking a curb, every wheel turn at a different speed.
Only when one wheel starts spinning,, the TC then trigger the front motor.
I wish there was a way to lock the axial when driving on a muddy road or snow.

Also it is not possible to manually to have the front motor running.
I wonder when the car preheat the battery before going to a supercharger,
if the front motor is engage because its noise if very noticeable.
I believe that the Hyundai EVs are going into 4 wheel drive in towing mode.

My RWD Model 3 would "buzz" the motor when preheating the battery, and it didn't have a front motor to play with. I've never noticed any strange noises from mine when accelerating hard, so I don't think the front motor is inherently noisy. One of these days, I'll get another OBD pigtail to actually see what's going on.

I am new on the forum, any update on this topic? I have a MY LR 2023 as well a M32019 and I am interested to put larger diameter tire on the back for winter to get the most ground clearance. I have currently 245/50/19 on all tires, but I do not like that the rear tire looks small compared the space available around the chassis. I am wondering to upgrade it to a 255/55/19 on the rear. That would give 35mm ~1.4 inch difference in diameter between front and rear tires. Any idea, if that will not kill my MY? Anybody has similar size difference between front and rear? I know the speedometer will show less than actual speed, but 2-3km/h it is not significant.

Lore on this forum says a greater than 1% mismatch sets of errors. I’m not clear the significance of same

also

Last edited: