Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Woes - Advice Appreciated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a flat on my right rear yesterday on my P85+ that cannot be repaired (265/35/21)... the left rear still has about 7/32nds of tread left so it is in really good shape..

so the quandary is...

Do I get a new PS2 to match the left side (with different tread depth)
Do i find a used PS2 that has similar tread to what I have on the left... no idea where to find a good one..

I would really like to go to the new SuperSport (or possibly another brand) for better tread ware but I hate to be mismatched but I don't really want to "throw out" a perfectly good left rear tire...

Is there any other options I am not thinking of?

On a side note Tesla Roadside was awesome, they came out and gave me a loaner tire and rim to drive around on until I get mine sorted out. Back on the road in less than an hour.

Good to see you give a shout out to the roadside assistance wheel swappers. They've saved me 3x and are the primary reason I'm not interested in buying after markets and therefore subjecting myself to a tow instead.

As for your specific issue. @jerry33 is a great source of advice, and especially so with tires/wheels lately. It seems that the season of flats and blowouts is peaking.

When new these tires have a tread depth of 10/32. Generally you want to have no more than a 2/32 difference for tires on the same axle. I'd start by measuring again to make sure they are seven and not eight /32nds. If they are eight, just buy a new tire and be done with it. If not, then google for "used tires near me" and give the places that show up a call. Be sure to inspect the tire for any damages before they mount it (inside and out)--and of course, check the tread depth.

going out to check the depth on the left tire to be sure...

Any other thoughts on tires other than the PS2s Contis? Pilot SuperSports? Pirelli? Hankook? etc...

IF I need to get both rears replaced what is the recommendation

thanks again

going out to check the depth on the left tire to be sure...

Any other thoughts on tires other than the PS2s Contis? Pilot SuperSports? Pirelli? Hankook? etc...

IF I need to get both rears replaced what is the recommendation

The recommendation is to always run the same tires on all four wheels--unless you have a staggered setup.

I have a P85+ so am am staggered 245 and 265s but I currently have PS2s all the way around
A staggered setup "should" eliminate the problems of running different tires on different axles. I suspect there might be some issues with wildly different tires, but if you stick to the tires that Tesla supplies OE, there shouldn't be any issues. I would probably go for the same type. Remember, that if you stick with the same tire you can use your still-good tire as a spare, and with an additional wheel you can do some rotation as the new tires wear down to the same tread depth.

It is never recommended to mix tires. Each type of type has its own unique wet and dry handling characteristics. You could end up with poor handling. It's best to find the same tire. I had the same issue on another car. Chatted with the seller on eBay (check their rating) and got a good used tire at a reasonable price.

I have a P85+ plus, and I got tired of paying $1000 for a set of Michelin PS2 rear tires.
I purchased a set of Hankooks:
Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2 275/30R21 rear and 245/35R21 in the front - $1000 for a full set.
- they wear much better then the PS2s - I have around 8000 miles, and there's 3/32 left on the rears
- they feel the same noisewise
- HALF the cost of the PS2s