Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires for 21" Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The staggered 21's make new tire choices tough. I've read a lot of owners have gone to the 245/35's front and rear. After researching a lot of tire specs I think I'm going to put 255/40R21's front and rear. Not much different from stock specs but
will give me a little more height from rim to ground. Has anybody done this? Would appreciate others Input.

The staggered 21's make new tire choices tough. I've read a lot of owners have gone to the 245/35's front and rear. After researching a lot of tire specs I think I'm going to put 255/40R21's front and rear. Not much different from stock specs but
will give me a little more height from rim to ground. Has anybody done this? Would appreciate others Input.
I'm curious about this as well and was wondering if you can get them in all-season tires vs Z rated so that they last longer.

Make sure you actually check your clearances. Your choice is a 4% difference in revs/mile and is wider and taller than the specified 21inch tire. There is not a lot of clearance in the front wheel well to begin with.

Tesla does in fact spec the 245/35-21 as the non-staggered setup for 21 inch wheels.

There are many tires available in the 245/35-21 size. Are you trying to get a taller sidewall to avoid pothole damage? If so you should look at 245/40-21 rather than 255/40-21. To get similar revs/mile one usually ups the sidewall a notch and lowers the cross section. Not upping both of them. The equivalent tire to 245/35-21 in a 40 aspect is a 215/40-21. But no one makes that size.

• Informative
Reactions: SilverGS
Make sure you actually check your clearances. Your choice is a 4% difference in revs/mile and is wider and taller than the specified 21inch tire. There is not a lot of clearance in the front wheel well to begin with.

Tesla does in fact spec the 245/35-21 as the non-staggered setup for 21 inch wheels.

There are many tires available in the 245/35-21 size. Are you trying to get a taller sidewall to avoid pothole damage? If so you should look at 245/40-21 rather than 255/40-21. To get similar revs/mile one usually ups the sidewall a notch and lowers the cross section. Not upping both of them. The equivalent tire to 245/35-21 in a 40 aspect is a 215/40-21. But no one makes that size.
What about going with all-seasons on 20 inch rims - Tsportline make a 20 inch rim for the Model S/X - 20

You can preserve the comfort, stay in spec and have a longer life all season tire.

Your right the 255/40's won't clear front fender wells; It would of been a good size split between front&rear, plus more sidewall. So I guess it's staggered or 245's all around.