Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires from Canadian Tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone taken their Model 3 to Canadian Tire for winter tires? They have a good offer on the Xice XI3, but after reading all the issues with the 3 and Costco, I was wondering if Canadian Tire is any better?

Also, if I put winter tires on the original rims, do I still need a new set of TPMS, or can the installers just reprogram the existing ones with the new tires? Thanks.

The TPMS sensors are mounted on the rims, so if you change the rubber they will still be there. You'll need new ones if you buy new rims.

Kal Tire in Scarborough was careful with our 3 and said that they get a lot of Teslas, so they are familiar with the procedure.

I'd recommend buying and bringing a set of the after market jack adapters to wherever you go.

Reactions: ATC@LWSK
AFAIK, Kaltire ran out all Nokians across Ontario. I have called many stores but they said their store network is all connected, and there are no Nokians anywhere.
I came across Jeremy at Wheelsco from Redflagdeals, called them this morning and they have plenty Nokians left. I have not taken delivery yet so cannot rate their services, but many people from Redflagdeals highly praise them.

Taking your Tesla to CDN Tire is an iffy proposition. Unless you can watch the mechanic lifting car correctly and torquing the wheel nuts correctly. Also, according to Tesla, no impact wrench should be used for removal or installation of tall ( non open ) wheel nuts.

I think it depends on the individual stores. My local Costco is excellent - they know Teslas, have a set of pucks and have always given me excellent service as well as good prices. My local Canadian Tire however is a really dodgy experience - always trying to upsell aggressively, I’ve seen them arguing with customers more than once and their techs look and act like they don’t give a crap. I’ve been there with previous cars but there’s no way I would ever take my Tesla in there.

I’d say make a call to each one and see who handles you most professionally, check that they’ve done plenty of Teslas and also check that you can watch while they do your car.

Unless you know the manager/staff very well, i would avoid going to CT, they operate on a franchise system where HQ has very little control over the stores and complaints and issues go mostly unheard.
I got my winter tires and rims online. Before buying online, i went to the local CT for a quote on tires, rims and install. The rep gave me a quote for the tires and rims but said they wouldnt install it as EV's are too complicated..LOL... I am sure this is not CT corporate opinion/policy. It cleared any doubts i had in my mind about CT

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe
AFAIK, Kaltire ran out all Nokians across Ontario. I have called many stores but they said their store network is all connected, and there are no Nokians anywhere.
I came across Jeremy at Wheelsco from Redflagdeals, called them this morning and they have plenty Nokians left. I have not taken delivery yet so cannot rate their services, but many people from Redflagdeals highly praise them.

I had Nokians installed today at Kaltire Ottawa, Had lots in stock for 18inch rims,

Reactions: zachfang