Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires from Ottawa or online in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Please don't get me wrong because I would be surprised if someone says what I'm going to say. Yes, my car is still new with 2,500km on it and I'm not that kind of a guy who spends his money like crazy. BUT, the tires are worrying me and I think I have to replace them soon. I know how OEM tires are bad, but never expected them to be this bad!

The Goodyear Eagle RS-A2 and I don't get along. I thought I might be wrong at first since it's a new car to me and I still don't know its limits but I don't think that's the case. I'm not a spirited driver (I used to be years ago), but I don't feel that these tires are safe. I hear people talking about hydroplanning all the time but never experienced it until a few days ago. I was doing 80km/h on Queensway while it was raining, I felt like the car wasn't under control and it got even worse and I had to slow down on a little curve (heading east to Orleans before Blair's exit). I never had this feeling with my old 2003 Chrysler 300m or 2012 Tiguan. I also had a scary experience driving on Alexandria bridge going to Hull (where you have to drive on the steel mesh); I couldn't drive more than 30km/h while it was dry because the car was pulling left and right! Yes, it was that bad!

Any one knows a good source for new tires in Ottawa or online in Canada that is reasonable and reliable? I'm thinking of Continental ExtremeContact DW or any other summers that have good reviews.

I checked Tirerack but they are not cheap if you take in consideration the taxes/fees and the currency exchange.

Your feedback is appreciated!

Thanks,
Khalid

I'd be interested as well in this info. I just replaced all four of mine while it was in the service centre for the 12v replacement and annual service. I was surprised to hear that the rear wheels were 'not safe to leave the service centre' after only 20k of driving.

Since it was at the service centre, I just went with what they had. I figure I'll be replacing them again soon. :-(

This is the line item on the receipt:

MICHELIN PS2 TIRE - 245/35R21 (101962400-A) Quantity 4.00 Unit Price 467.28

I mostly buy my tires at TireRack.com. Even with the extra brokerage charges it's still way cheaper than most Canadian sources.

If you want to bother, you can have them shipped to Ogdensburg and import them yourself. I do that sometimes if I'm buying a lot of stuff. I use MyUSAddress.ca

I've been very happy with the Goodyear Eagle RS-A2s and would buy them again in a heartbeat. I did use separate winter tires this year, but had the Goodyears on for the tail end of last year and they were even fine in snow/ice. Solid dry traction, excellent wet performance and they still have plenty of tread life at about 40,000 km.

The "wobbliness" you describe I have noticed as well, both on my summer and winter tires (so I don't think it's the Goodyears). Sometimes when I drive I can almost feel my head bob from side to side, and I constantly have to input tiny steering corrections. I've had Tesla check it and they say it's "normal". To be fair I noticed the exact same thing on two different loaner Model S's I drove. I think they both had the Tesla Pirelli winter tires on at the time. The car does not seem to track nearly as well as my former Cadillac CTS.

Again, I don't think it's the tires. Maybe Tesla would let you take a loaner out for a spin on different tires so you can determine for yourself.

I've been very happy with the Goodyear Eagle RS-A2s and would buy them again in a heartbeat. I did use separate winter tires this year, but had the Goodyears on for the tail end of last year and they were even fine in snow/ice. Solid dry traction, excellent wet performance and they still have plenty of tread life at about 40,000 km.

The "wobbliness" you describe I have noticed as well, both on my summer and winter tires (so I don't think it's the Goodyears). Sometimes when I drive I can almost feel my head bob from side to side, and I constantly have to input tiny steering corrections. I've had Tesla check it and they say it's "normal". To be fair I noticed the exact same thing on two different loaner Model S's I drove. I think they both had the Tesla Pirelli winter tires on at the time. The car does not seem to track nearly as well as my former Cadillac CTS.

Again, I don't think it's the tires. Maybe Tesla would let you take a loaner out for a spin on different tires so you can determine for yourself.

Wobbliness: I think it would be easier if someone from Ottawa observe the behaviour whenever they drive on that bridge :)
Wet Weather Performance: these tires (the series RS-A in general) have negative reviews when it comes to wet driving
conditions, so I don't think it's only me.

if you have 19"s go to tirerack.com

fill in your vehicle model
view all tires in the size and sort by UTQG (this rating is how good the tread wear is approx)
pick the Pirelli Cinturato P7 as its usually the top
click on survey,
then click on full list and remove your tire size filter,
you will see right away it is the best tire you can buy in that specific category

i have done a similar method of buying tires for over 8 vehicles, and every single tire that was both #1 on UTQG and survey have been excellent, not a single complaint

the factory tires on all the vehicles my friends, family and myself have had are garbage except the factory 21" continentals on the tesla

Wet Weather Performance: these tires (the series RS-A in general) have negative reviews when it comes to wet driving conditions, so I don't think it's only me.

They seem pretty good to me. My other (ICE) car came with Goodyear Eagle RS-A's (not the A2's like on the Tesla) and they are great too. When the first set wore out, I replaced them with the same. I drive about 40,000 km a year, mostly freeway but I have never had a hint of wet weather problems. I guess, as they say, your mileage will vary.

I haven't had any problems with the goodyear OEM tires after 27000km.

I'd get your alignment checked.

The car doesn't pull anywhere and it goes straight even if I take my hands off the steering wheel. When the road is dry I don't notice any problems with the alignment whatsoever. I'm really picky when it comes to the alignment (I used to do wheel alignment with my previous cars annually). I also checked that with multiple roads on the middle lane to make sure there is no road banking.

The wobbliness I mentioned was on a specific bridge compared to other vehicles (hopefully nothing else on a regular road triggers such a behaviour). My main concern is when it rains.

Is that a bridge with grooves or steel grids? The wide tires plus large camber will tend to make the tires follow those grooves a lot more. It feels unsteady but it does not indicate a problem with grip; quite the contrary.

Is that a bridge with grooves or steel grids? The wide tires plus large camber will tend to make the tires follow those grooves a lot more. It feels unsteady but it does not indicate a problem with grip; quite the contrary.

Yes, that's the one. My previous car (2012 Tiguan) had 255/40/19" and it wasn't behaving like that at all. What I felt was really scary and worrisome; it felt like the steering wheel was useless.

Maybe the large camber.. Not sure about that.

Yes, I'm sure it's the camber. Model S has a lot of camber in the rear.

You think that's bad, you should see my Corvette. Has a track setup with high camber, and 255 front 295 rear. It really hunts in the grooved 417 construction zone. Would probably go bonkers on the bridge.

None of this has anything to do with performance in the wet. The function of the tread is to channel water out, so that the tire doesn't hydroplane. As long as the rubber is in contact with the pavement it'll hold just fine.

Yes, I'm sure it's the camber. Model S has a lot of camber in the rear.

You think that's bad, you should see my Corvette. Has a track setup with high camber, and 255 front 295 rear. It really hunts in the grooved 417 construction zone. Would probably go bonkers on the bridge.

None of this has anything to do with performance in the wet. The function of the tread is to channel water out, so that the tire doesn't hydroplane. As long as the rubber is in contact with the pavement it'll hold just fine.

That's something new I learned today about what a large camber can do. Thanks! (I feel way better knowing the reason behind it)

The performance in the wet is a separate issue, I agree. But I can assure you it wasn't the best performance and many reviews agree with me.

Thanks everyone! I think I will give them another chance when it rains again and make a decision accordingly. Replacing fairly new tires is a waste, and I'm trying to find any excuse to keep them.