Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires too hot/Check pressure warnings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sethr

CPO Roadster #1089
Mar 24, 2013
Fairfax, VA
Two warnings came up on my VDS today - it indicated tires too hot; then: check right rear pressure. Thing is, I was stuck in traffic, never got above 40 mph the whole trip (bummer). The actual pressure when I came to a stoplight and could access the tire pressures/temps, they seemed reasonably within range to me: 32 psi in front, 42 psi rear, and 98 and 104 respectively for temperatures. Surely this shouldn't have triggered a warning? Certainly I've driven faster in hotter temperatures, though admittedly I've never pulled over to check temps/pressures. Then again, I don't know what the trigger points for these warnings are. Does anyone here know? TIA!

None of those temps/pressures seem über-abnormal.

I've been having issues with my Roadster PEM getting over-warm (it's at the Tyco Service Center now, getting checked out). But, I've only had one moment where it actually got so warm that I got a "too damn hot" warning on the VDS, and the dreaded "Power Limit" light on the dash...and that was sitting in dead-stop traffic on I-66 this past weekend.

And, while it may not be the best idea in the world (and I don't do it very often), I have found that I can just barely pull up on the parking brake (to the first notch) without the e-brake dragging...and it's enough to let me pull up the TPMS screen (after I clear the "Hey, dummy, the parking brake is on" alert).

And, while it may not be the best idea in the world (and I don't do it very often), I have found that I can just barely pull up on the parking brake (to the first notch) without the e-brake dragging...and it's enough to let me pull up the TPMS screen (after I clear the "Hey, dummy, the parking brake is on" alert).

It's OVMS time ;-)
That's probably the most useful thing I've use regularly in OVMS: checking tires temp & pressure in traffic (saves on pulling the handbrake while driving!)...
Because I did have a faulty TPMS sensor which could very well be what Sethr is experiencing!