Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Title washed Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I Bought a car which had an accident in Ohio, considered total loss,
but sold by the insurer with a clean title at the auction lot in Michigan.

It was retitled afterwards with a clean Michigan title which has the same 75% repair/value threshold for damaged cars as NY.

The car's value was shown as ~$45000 with repairs being estimated at ~$25000 with the final cost of repair being ~25%. This making me believe that the clean title is legit and wasn't washed.

History of the title:

Ohio title - clean

Michigan title - clean

Feb. Accident, sold at auction

Mar.Michigan title - clean.

Looking up the VIN on Michigan and Ohio's DMV websites, both state that the titles have always been clean.

Am I overstressing myself?

Screenshot_20200325-160525~4.png

I haven't followed the Rich Rebuilds videos closely, but he had some issues with a salvage vehicle not supercharging because Tesla blocked the VIN. I would check with Tesla to make sure they will still support it. If you've never had to deal with title issues, they can be a pain in the ass.

• Helpful
Reactions: israndy
Since it was twice on copart...me personally, would not risk, after insurance company car could be greatly dismantled.

It's on there twice because one is for the listing, the 2nd is being the sale. So it's only been on there once. From the pics of the copart sale there was only body damage on the front. Everything else looked untouched inside and the sides/back so part of me has some relief there and thinks that the car is fine. In it's shape it sold for $25000 ON COPART I bought it for $33000. So I don't think that I'd have too much to worry in that regards. NY has a repair/value salvage policy of 75%. So I don't think I'd have to worry about the title transferring clean. Just wanted to get more opinions on it.

Did you know all this BEFORE or AFTER you bought the car?

If this is all new to you, I'd get the dealer licensing board of the state in which you purchased the car involved as you've been defrauded--once "branded" you're always with a "branded" title in my book . . . .

Frankly, a branded title is worth much, much less than a "clean" title, and I don't mean "washed."

Undo your deal, or ask for a major refund.

If no luck there, then get the applicable state dealer board involved.

Let us know how it goes!

(And there's also small claims court perhaps? No lawyer required.)

Tesla is not acting nice lately. They do not respect the right to repair (and to "get fixed" in many cases and lock many features, incl DC charging.

This is another MAJOR issue. With a branded title, your car could lose Supercharging at any moment, as Tesla has demonstrated with Rich Rebuilds. Ditto for the 8-year, unlimited mileage battery and motor warranty. And ditto for just plain Tesla Service!

You need to get this resolved ASAP.

At the wholesale car auctions this issue is always resolved immediately--either the car has a "clean" title, or it doesn't. If the car is not as represented, "clean" or "branded," the deal is undone.

You've been defrauded, likely intentionally. Do NOT take "there's nothing we can do" for an answer. Get your money back now.