Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TM forum: 'Tesla Service "Ranger" wrecked my car against a Jersey barrier

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This isn't my car. Just reposting here. Seems someone is complaining on the TM forums that a ranger crashed their MS after picking it up. unconfirmed but I hope this isn't true...

http://www.teslamotors.com/en_HK/fo...d-my-car-against-jersey-barrier-no-resolution

rangercrash.png

Seems odd that Bluetooth connectivity couldn't be fixed onsite by a ranger? Anyway, the tone of that post makes it sound like they did it on purpose. It stinks, of course, but accidents happen. How do people get through LIFE wrapped so tight?

Unless it's totaled or extensively damaged (so repair is not viable) it's unlikely that he will get a new car. The battery pack is the highest value item on the car and most likely it was not damaged.

'New crash'. That's a little extreme.

sorry, I fail to see what you're calling extreme about that label? I'm simply pointing out the possibility theres been another Tesla crash, this one caused by a Tesla service employee (or at least per this person's statement).

I'm sure Tesla will get to bottom, and there are always two sides to every story.

are you implying that this was a fake post by someone or that someone is lying about a tesla rep crashing their car?

Without details about what the actual damage is, it may be completely unrealistic to expect a new vehicle. Repair to like new is pretty much the standard. I can understand the guy being upset, but you also have to deal with reality.

if it were me, I would be fuming. I think I would do the same as this guy actually. I would probably 1) demand a new replacement vehicle, and if that doesn't work 2) sue for a new replacement vehicle (especially of the other one isn't repairable) 3) actually I think insurance would replace with a brand new vehicle and then the insurance company would actual pursue legal against against Tesla for the cost of replacement with a new vehicle. if they do repair it I would still at the very least 4) sue for a very large amount of money to account for the repair work (obviously), a loaner(or rental), & also $$$ for the sudden depreciation in the value of the car now that it's been labeled as being in an accident (which alone could be $10k+). That last part might also actually be supplied by the insurance company. (I think someone on these forums who had an accident pressed their insurance company to not only pay for the repairs but also to fork over the $$$$ in loss in depreciation of the value of the repaired car and that worked.

In any case, not cool. If it were me, I'd probably seek a lawyer ASAP on course of action to take.

Well, if they have vehicles to loan out during service that are similar enough to his, make it a permanent loan, buy his vehicle that the Ranger banged up, and if the difference in cost of his vs loaner is modest, eat the cost, if huge difference, make him pay the difference at a discounted rate.

Personally, I'd wait for my car to be returned to the condition prior to Jersey barrier encounter, not giving up my Sig until something better from Tesla comes along! ;)

not giving up my Sig until something better from Tesla comes along! ;)

new one might have more aligned panels than the original sigs do. plus they dont have the funny looking nose cone.

:p LOL

you could always buy this one, it's even a founder's edition. I actually think it's pretty cheap given how "famous" the vehicle is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tesla-MODEL...3c0523753&item=290989422419&pt=US_Cars_Trucks (aka "This was the test car was used in the September 30th New York Times article." )

Don't they normally trailer cars anyway? How is one Ranger supposed to drive him or herself to the customers car and then drive both vehicles back unless two people go to the customer's house.

new one might have more aligned panels than the original sigs do. plus they dont have the funny looking nose cone.

:p LOL

you could always buy this one, it's even a founder's edition. I actually think it's pretty cheap given how "famous" the vehicle is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tesla-MODEL...3c0523753&item=290989422419&pt=US_Cars_Trucks (aka "This was the test car was used in the September 30th New York Times article." )
The ebay listing is fishy. That is the car, if I am not mistaken, referenced somewhere else here 6 months ago for sale in California by someone I talked to, a VC who had funded Elon ages ago.
Why would someone in Wisconsin buy it, have it shipped all the way, only to sell it? And $105,000? Hah!

actually I think insurance would replace with a brand new vehicle and then the insurance company would actual pursue legal against against Tesla for the cost of replacement with a new vehicle. if they do repair it I would still at the very least 4) sue for a very large amount of money to account for the repair work (obviously), a loaner(or rental), & also $$$ for the sudden depreciation in the value of the car now that it's been labeled as being in an accident (which alone could be $10k+).
All this depends on the actual damage to the vehicle. Not every accident results in a totaled vehicle. And in the repair case, I think it's pretty clear Tesla is willing to repair and provide a loaner (although that is not what the owner wants). The only point that is still sticking are the depreciation costs. He brings up Benz and BMW, but I'm not sure they would do anything different in the same case.

All this depends on the actual damage to the vehicle. Not every accident results in a totaled vehicle. And in the repair case, I think it's pretty clear Tesla is willing to repair and provide a loaner (although that is not what the owner wants). The only point that is still sticking are the depreciation costs. He brings up Benz and BMW, but I'm not sure they would do anything different in the same case.

From a quick google search (I was curious), in this case if repairs are made, [in addition to those costs obviously], you are also entitled to whats called the 'diminished value' of the car. You have to prove this though. And you have to ask for it. If you don't, they'll just repair your car and give it back to you (and hope that you don't know about "dimished value". )

It is kind of hard to judge on the condition of the car. If it was seriously damaged then a replacement could be expected. But if it was just a bump to the body, then a fix + some form of compensation seems reasonable. Without pictures it is hard to judge.

if it were me, I would be fuming. I think I would do the same as this guy actually. I would probably 1) demand a new replacement vehicle, and if that doesn't work 2) sue for a new replacement vehicle (especially of the other one isn't repairable) 3) actually I think insurance would replace with a brand new vehicle and then the insurance company would actual pursue legal against against Tesla for the cost of replacement with a new vehicle. if they do repair it I would still at the very least 4) sue for a very large amount of money to account for the repair work (obviously), a loaner(or rental), & also $$$ for the sudden depreciation in the value of the car now that it's been labeled as being in an accident (which alone could be $10k+). That last part might also actually be supplied by the insurance company. (I think someone on these forums who had an accident pressed their insurance company to not only pay for the repairs but also to fork over the $$$$ in loss in depreciation of the value of the repaired car and that worked.

In any case, not cool. If it were me, I'd probably seek a lawyer ASAP on course of action to take.

From my understanding, insurance would consult the manufacturer and the manufacturer would have the final say. So that route won't really work.

I recently had a door handle replaced, they said they'd do it in my driveway/garage but instead drove the car to the SC (~10 miles away).
They went over my car with a fine toothed comb before they left and pointed out to me (again) that I have scratched one of the rims.
Then they went over the car again when the returned it...

It would be interesting to see what the damage was do that car, its a shame.

I read an article in Milwaukee Biz a few days ago, that talked about Tesla. One of the interesting things mentioned was that there were only 4 authorized Tesla body shops in the US. 45K to train at Tesla per person and 150K in specialized equipment. Therefore, if the answer that the owner got was we'll have it repaired at a local shop -- either the post was bogus or the damage was so slight.