Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TM forum: 'Tesla Service "Ranger" wrecked my car against a Jersey barrier

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The expectation of a new car after 5,000 miles seems to be a bit egregious. Assuming that the Tesla service tech didn't go all Ferris Bueller on the car and purposely wreck it, you'd be limited to recovering the costs of restoring the car back to the way that it was before the accident happened. There are mounds of case law precedent which would prevent the car from being replaced, short of a severe structural integrity breach which would be on the owner to prove. If the technician simply scraped the side against a barrier, or even slightly damaged a body panel, he isn't getting a new car and no court case will give it to him, either. The owner will have a hard time proving depreciated value of a Tesla Model S as a result of the accident, and the degree to which he would be entitled to this is likely going to be inversely proportional to the degree by which Tesla demonstrates interest in making it right (aside from a new car).

My car had an "oopsie" at the Chicago service center in January, when a service tech scuffed up my front bumper rather significantly. Their body shop repaired most of the damage and repainted the bumper; however, there was a paint chip on the corner of the frunk that looked like it had been repaired with fingernail polish. When I pointed this out after they delivered the car back to me, Tesla had me take it to my own body shop; it was repaired to my satisfaction and Tesla paid the bill.

Will CarFax show this? It depends. Just taking your car to a body shop doesn't trigger a CarFax record. Police accident reports do; vehicle structural damage reports do; insurance claims (hail damage, etc.) do (in most states -- your mileage may vary).

- - - Updated - - -

I read an article in Milwaukee Biz a few days ago, that talked about Tesla. One of the interesting things mentioned was that there were only 4 authorized Tesla body shops in the US. 45K to train at Tesla per person and 150K in specialized equipment. Therefore, if the answer that the owner got was we'll have it repaired at a local shop -- either the post was bogus or the damage was so slight.

It depends upon the degree of damage. Minor bodywork can be completed by body shops who have training and expertise in aluminum car bodies. Major work (primarily structural) must be handled by the specialty shops you mention. (Just for reference, I wouldn't use the word "authorized" but rather "certified" - as any time a Tesla service center takes a Model S to a body shop, Tesla is deeming them an authorized shop to do the work.)

They drop off a loaner when they come to get your car from you, so the Tesla valet is driving the loaner to your house, and your car to the SC and then back to your house when complete.

I would say a new car is excessive and not going to happen. Diminished value is a possibility in addition to the repairs. I would be pissed, but I would also be driving a P85+ loaner for a month or two so that would be nice. I'm sure if he wasn't a d*^& about it he could probably get some Tesla gear for his trouble. Maybe a yacht floor or a car cover or supercharging turned on. If it were my car I'd be asking for supercharging and unlocking the extra battery on my "40" since it would cost them nothing and make me happy.

I read an article in Milwaukee Biz a few days ago, that talked about Tesla. One of the interesting things mentioned was that there were only 4 authorized Tesla body shops in the US. 45K to train at Tesla per person and 150K in specialized equipment. Therefore, if the answer that the owner got was we'll have it repaired at a local shop -- either the post was bogus or the damage was so slight.

That sounds like wrong information printed in the newspaper. I know of two "authorized" Tesla body shops in Seattle - Bel Red and Queen Anne and another in Portland. This was explained to me by Tesla themselves when my car needed body work. I doubt the rest of the country is serviced by one body shop.

That sounds like wrong information printed in the newspaper. I know of two "authorized" Tesla body shops in Seattle - Bel Red and Queen Anne and another in Portland. This was explained to me by Tesla themselves when my car needed body work. I doubt the rest of the country is serviced by one body shop.

+1!
There is a certified auto body shop here in Minneapolis and I am pretty darned sure that if there were only 4 in the country Minnesota wouldn't have one of them.

Original thread was not started as a 'locked' thread which is the only way to verify ownership.
I would need to see the level of damage before coming to any conclusions.

oh yeah, bmw is so much better, especially when they sold my coworkers rims to another buyer after my coworker already paid with his credit card (he was not able to pick them up right away, but when he did get back to the dealership they were gone)
One thing also not pointed out is that with the large automakers (like BMW and Benz) if the dealer refuses to address your concerns, contacting corporate usually doesn't work either as they frequently will ignore you or say they aren't responsible. This is different from Tesla where you always have the contact information for corporate and can relatively easily escalate the problem to the top of the corporate chain.

This is what this BMW owner found:
http://jalopnik.com/spurned-bmw-owner-publicly-executes-his-160-000-m6-wit-1327759600

When I got my fog lights put in, two guys drove out the loaner and drove my car back (about 50 miles), but when returning it they brought it back on a flatbed and flatbeded the loaner back. They had cleaned my car, so driving it back would have just made it dirty again. This sems to fit this scenario well.

i will also add that the tesla reps were wearing jeans and t-shirts and in no way (other than that I was expecting them and they brought another tesla) looked like they were tesla employees. They also struggled getting the loaner on the flatbed and didn't do much to generate confidence in their abilities.

but to my knowledge this sounds like a hoax because a ranger (as they are described) does the work on site. For the car to be brought back, it would just be a representative.