Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

to 90d or not

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, Advice needed. I have just bought a Dec 17 90d with full AP and PP. Prices was good for the UK. Problem is it turns out the passenger side rear quarter panel has been repaired at some point (7/10) but the paint is 2 shades darker than the rest of the car (silver). You can see the blend in the rear door but the bumper has not been blended so is now 2 shades lighter than the qp.. I have 2 choices: 1) repair and try and bill the seller, 2) return.

Apart from the above it seems a good car. < 25K miles.

Advice welcome.

SJ

Most cars are bought as-is (especially cosmetically), so if you didn't discover this during a pre-purchase inspection, I'd say this is your issue to resolve on your own dime. Only recourse you potentially have is if this was a one-owner car and the seller stated in writing that it had no body repair. Even then it's likely to be a battle.

On RHD cars the damage is where the charge port is. If they got the colour that wrong the repair itself might not be good, and if Tesla see a poor repair that might impact charging they’ll kill supercharger access. I suspect the “good price” was for a reason.

if you bought from a garage then you have some protection but you need to find out if all is good quickly and not just cosmetically, if you bought privately there’s not much you can do.

Hi. So in the end I rejected the car and got a full refund. The dealer were very good. I did get an estimate from a Tesla approved shop, but that was too steep for the dealer, so in the end the car went back. Its interesting but that is the third car I have seen now which has had nearside quarter panel damage. Another interesting comment from the shop guy was him pointing a very slight crease at the tip of the the frunk, together with a couple of small finger sized dents. He said that nearly every tesla he'd seen was like this because people couldn't close the frunk properly.