Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Todays problem: Steering Assist Reduced, Park Assist Not Available, ABS, Traction Control and Air Bag Warnings (and probably others)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also noticed that the headlights seemed to be going from low to high beam of their own accord too (don't have that feature enabled).

The thing about the steering is that 75% of the time since the warning, it hasn't seemed any different but certainly did notice it being a lot heaver a few times on tighter, lower speed corners.

Next available service appointment, over 1 week away. :mad:

I also noticed that the headlights seemed to be going from low to high beam of their own accord too (don't have that feature enabled).

The thing about the steering is that 75% of the time since the warning, it hasn't seemed any different but certainly did notice it being a lot heaver a few times on tighter, lower speed corners.

Next available service appointment, over 1 week away. :mad:
Funny you say that mate mines just gone in for that reason lights going berserk and a load of errors sounds exactly the same as yours Model 3 long Range tesla have been brilliant they collected my car and dropped off a rental however the car seemed to be ok but had the same issues as you the app is telling me ready in two weeks time to collect still haven’t heard
from tesla what the actual fault is they think it’s wiring not sure yet

Reactions: plisken
Funny you say that mate mines just gone in for that reason lights going berserk and a load of errors sounds exactly the same as yours Model 3 long Range tesla have been brilliant they collected my car and dropped off a rental however the car seemed to be ok but had the same issues as you the app is telling me ready in two weeks time to collect still haven’t heard
from tesla what the actual fault is they think it’s wiring not sure yet
Multiple errors like that is generally wiring. The early RHD M3 had a connector that could get wet (bad placement) symptom was a laundry list of errors.

• Informative
Reactions: CWT3LR and plisken
headlights seemed to be going from low to high beam of their own accord too

I had that on an early Model-S - a clear "thunk" as a relay/similar toggled. They would flick back-and-forth at times, as if I was flashing oncoming traffic. I suspect Tesla replaced / fixed the wiring loom (they were perplexed at the time, got someone over from USA I think ... but it was early days).

Picked it up, returned loaner, and airbag warning light came on after a couple of miles ... swapped it back for the loaner for another couple of weeks! Suspect the re-wiring wasn't all it should have been. Was fine for 50+K miles after that.

@WannabeOwner Your can definitely hear the relay or perhaps the position changing of the lamps themselves. Interestingly, this morning I went out to see if the other faults were still there and decided to make sure the lights were actually off and you can still hear the movement, even with them definitely off.

Not the best image but you can see the other warning icons which driving.
1676230563909.png

Reactions: WannabeOwner
@WannabeOwner Your can definitely hear the relay or perhaps the position changing of the lamps themselves. Interestingly, this morning I went out to see if the other faults were still there and decided to make sure the lights were actually off and you can still hear the movement, even with them definitely off.

Not the best image but you can see the other warning icons which driving.
View attachment 906487
Not wanting to downplay the seriousness of your issues.

But is ths choice of song you are playing a statement, or religiousness over Tesla?

• Funny
A bit of an update.

The car was in the SC for 2 weeks or so and they replaced a "front end wiring loom" and despite a catalogue of other issues while the car was there, relating to loan cars and new faults discovered when I collected the car, I have managed a little over a week or 70 miles or so before the fault returned. Initially, just the Steering Assist Reduced error, but this morning, I had no steering assist whatsoever. (it actually felt locked).

So here I sit, in a car that is just not drive-able, with no offer of temporary transport and no communication from the local SC, despite roadside advising that they would speak to the SC on my behalf.

This is without doubt the worst purchase I have ever made

• Informative
Reactions: CWT3LR
A bit of an update.

The car was in the SC for 2 weeks or so and they replaced a "front end wiring loom" and despite a catalogue of other issues while the car was there, relating to loan cars and new faults discovered when I collected the car, I have managed a little over a week or 70 miles or so before the fault returned. Initially, just the Steering Assist Reduced error, but this morning, I had no steering assist whatsoever. (it actually felt locked).

So here I sit, in a car that is just not drive-able, with no offer of temporary transport and no communication from the local SC, despite roadside advising that they would speak to the SC on my behalf.

This is without doubt the worst purchase I have ever made
Really sorry to hear the ongoing catalogue of issues - and on a safety-critical area of the the car too.

If I were in your shoes, I would be thinking whether now might be the time to invest in a solicitor's letter to the company setting out a timescale for resolution, failing which court action would commence to recover losses incurred.

Many if the systems are linked and run through the same bus. This has the advantage of meaning much less wiring and simpler looms, but has the issue that one simple failure can cause a whole load of issues, and it's easy to assume the fault is further down the chain than it is.
I had the initial steering rack loom issue, that killed the power steering, but also the ABS and other systems. It's possible that your steering rack was the issue all along.
I also had a firmware bug that caused the radar unit to crash the bus and took out all the driver assist features and all the cars/lane markings in the visualisation.
I would join in with the "these unreliable Teslas" but my Volvo was in and out of the dealers way more with mystery fueling issues, my Golf actually set on fire on the driveway and my Leaf has the rear subframe welded on wonky and you can't align the wheels so out of my last 4 cars it's been easily the most reliable :p

We had a similar fault arise with our M3 LR 2021 (18,000 miles) on 2 March whilst in southern France. Approaching Aix-en-Provence on the motorway, the steering assist reduced warning came on first, followed over a period of miles by brake boost fault detected, ABS, traction control, vehicle hold not available and air bag warnings. Then the headlights started going from low to high bean randomly, as observed by plisken, with the indicators operating erratically. The steering and brakes actually seemed to drive OK, despite the colourful warning lights appearing on the touchscreen.

We called Tesla support on the UK number in the app. The agent suggested a power off reset but this did not change anything. Luckily, this was a Thursday evening and there is a Tesla SC on the edge of Aix. The UK agent suggested we drive cautiously to the SC if steering and brakes seemed normal, otherwise recovery to the SC could be arranged if needed.

We stayed overnight at the Ibis hotel at the Aix supercharger and limped to the SC on Friday morning. The diagnostics indicated a new steering rack assembly and main front wiring loom were required. The SC staff member we talked to said this was not a failure they normally see on the M3 (there are a lot of M3’s in the Aix/Marseille area) though they have seen it on MY’s.

The initial timescale estimate was 3 days to get the parts from the Netherlands distribution centre (no Brexit issues, apparently, even for a RHD rack) and 2 days to do the work. In the event, it took 5 days to get the parts and then 3 days to do the work, 10 calendar days overall. The SC also did retrofit work to insulate a/c low pressure pipe and replace O-ring on boot lift power strut. This was all no-cost warranty work. We were given an M3 LR 2020 loaner with free supercharge, so local Tesla supported us quite well.

Fortunately in this case, both my wife and I are retired and we could stay longer where we stay 30 miles from Aix, an area we know well, without major consequences. Once we had our car back, it seemed as before. The 835 mile drive back to the UK was uneventful.

I have mixed feelings from this experience. On the one hand, Tesla support worked well cross-border: we were able to contact a UK support agent; the Aix SC handled our case in the way the agent indicated the SC would and should. On the other hand, it unsettles confidence in the car. We have a road trip to Norway planned for May/June where the domino effect of such a failure could have major impacts, the only comfort being that our route passes near several SC’s.

And its back, less than 300 miles since the steering rack was replaced, the fault is back.

So here we are, front end wiring loom replaced, steering rack replaced and now fault is back. Happened on the A9, 1/2 way to Inverness, so planned weekend ruined. Tesla roadside were absolutely shocking.

This thing has got to go!

If you have finance on the car that might be possible route to look at? A friend had these kind of issues on a Hyundai and after months of hassle they pushed the finance company who took the car back. I believe they are legally liable if the car is not fit for purpose. I think the same applies if you paid the deposit by credit card.

• Informative
Hopefully a final update on this sage which may or may not be of interest to someone that has similar steering related issues or warnings.

I picked up my car this morning, having had the steering rack replaced again. However, the "Engineering team" are still looking into the issue. Anyway, I'd done almost 20 miles without any faults :cool: