Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toll Tag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cnasty

Jun 20, 2016
Dallas
Hi fellow Texans!

Just took delivery yesterday of my S and absolutely love it!

Where is everyone placing their toll tag? I heard the window has some coating and it won't read correctly? Is this true?

Thanks for any help

Reactions: JaredW
You can search the forums for extensive discussion on coated windows and Toll Tag, but I have tried most of the locations on my Sept 2015 MS (newer window style with painted black area next to mirror). Locations I have tried: inside to the right review mirror/camera housing, lower driver side outside, and center top outside. Putting the RF decal outside under black vinyl wrap film seems to work a little better, but my tag still works on the inside. Maybe takes an extra 3-5 seconds to read at the gates of DFW airport, but eventually the gate opens. Pulling a little closer to the gate than usual may help.

Living in DFW area the only real place that I needed it to be read was at the airport. All the toll roads can be logged by the plate reader.

Depending on your needs, just use a couple of pieces of tape to temporarily hold it in place over the blacked out area next to the mirror. (RF transmitter bump / circle T must be in the black painted area.) See how it works for you. Plus this a little cleaner solution than outside the window.

I have one of the old hard case plastic tags. I put it behind the mirror (out of sight) just like my old car. Works fine. The newer stick-on tags can be more finicky, search the other forums for insight. And congratulations! If you have not yet joined the North Texas Tesla Owners Group, check us out on Facebook or NTTOG.com.

I didn't even know this was an option to put it back there.

Great call and I will try that location as I am unsure I want to try the front window after the feedback here.

Cnasty, I love to hear back about how you make out with the rear window solution. From my research through the older threads, there's hope that with our new cars, the tolltag will work if mounted at the black part of the window to the right of the autopilot sensors. I will try that tonight against my community's gates. I also ordered this, Toll Tag vinyl overlay for exterior mounting in case that does work. The guy that sells it says it is not necessary given what I said above but I figured for $2 it doesn't hurt to order just in case.

I'm glad you started this thread because the older threads ended in 2015 and I think those experiences may not apply to our newer cars. I'll be sure to report back on my findings as well.

Reactions: Cnasty
I didn't even know this was an option to put it back there.

Great call and I will try that location as I am unsure I want to try the front window after the feedback here.

On a 2016 refreshed S90D: My toll tag is in the "bare spot" just to the right of the rear view mirror. Works great. Also works stuck to the bottom side of the shelf in the trunk as well as back window.

Cnasty, I love to hear back about how you make out with the rear window solution. From my research through the older threads, there's hope that with our new cars, the tolltag will work if mounted at the black part of the window to the right of the autopilot sensors. I will try that tonight against my community's gates. I also ordered this, Toll Tag vinyl overlay for exterior mounting in case that does work. The guy that sells it says it is not necessary given what I said above but I figured for $2 it doesn't hurt to order just in case.

I'm glad you started this thread because the older threads ended in 2015 and I think those experiences may not apply to our newer cars. I'll be sure to report back on my findings as well.

I am still waiting for my registration paperwork as I can't get a TollTag until I have a license plate number is my understanding so I am just running through the tolls now and will get Zip Cash I guess.

Unless i can pry off my Durango one and put it on the Tesla?

I am still waiting for my registration paperwork as I can't get a TollTag until I have a license plate number is my understanding so I am just running through the tolls now and will get Zip Cash I guess.

Unless i can pry off my Durango one and put it on the Tesla?

I didn't have to wait. I simply put in the CA temporary license number. You can update the plate state and number anytime from the NTTA website. The spot folks are talking about is on the right of the mirror when you're inside the car. BTW, I'm planning to trim the tolltag so it doesn't show beyond that black area. The majority of the tag is just a sticker. The RFID chip is about 1/4" x 1/4".

I didn't have to wait. I simply put in the CA temporary license number. You can update the plate state and number anytime from the NTTA website. The spot folks are talking about is on the right of the mirror when you're inside the car.

You know I didn't even think of that. I will get right on it then.

Thanks for the feedback here as it has been helpful by all of you :)

And if you have a problem the NTTA folks have surprisingly some of the best customer service I have ever encountered. Just give them a call and it will be straightened out in 3 minutes.

I was annoyed their online site does not allow you to deactive or remove a tag associated with a car you sold. But when I called them to deactivate instead, the guy talked my ear off about having a Tesla :) Asking all kinds of questions and telling me he wished he had one. I described the Tesla Model 3 and the reservation list. Probably one of the friendliest customer service calls I've experienced.

Reactions: JaredW
I was annoyed their online site does not allow you to deactive or remove a tag associated with a car you sold. But when I called them to deactivate instead, the guy talked my ear off about having a Tesla :) Asking all kinds of questions and telling me he wished he had one. I described the Tesla Model 3 and the reservation list. Probably one of the friendliest customer service calls I've experienced.

I was going to say the exact thing. I had to email a couple times (i hate the phone) before they finally removed an old car.

My fault though when a single phone call would have done it. :)

Has anyone moved a TollTag from one car to another or is that frowned upon?

Great, thanks!!

I will try there.

The potential problem with this location is if you plan to install a dash cam, its the best location for the dash cam to ensure the recorded GPS locations and WIFI remain activated. Its also the least intrusive spot for the camera. Many recent transponder threads on TMC if you search a bit with several alt locations. Hit or Miss seems to be the constant but at least you can try them.

Just to report back. I went to NTTA in Plano and got a replacement tag which I placed in the designated (black) area to the right of the AutoPilot cowling. I'm happy to report it appears to be working with the toll readers. The way you can tell whether they are reading your plates vs. the tag is looking at the timespan between the time of toll vs time of posting. If the timespan is under 15 minutes it is reading the tag.

However, tag in the new position is NOT working with 2 of the 3 gate sensors in my community. The 2 not working are mounted high up and just behind the gate and the 1 that is working is mounted way before the gate. I found that it works only when I pull up far enough for the windshield to line up with the sensor. This is not a problem with my other car and implies that despite mounting the tag in the designated area, its signal is still reduced as compared to other cars without the metallic coating.

I have yet to try the gates at DFW airport. I'm dreading getting stuck and having to back up.

Also, this is a good reference that explains why a sticker style tag won't work when it is not attached to the windshield or when it has been peeled up and reused, EZ TAG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I always wondered why such a small chip needed such a big sticker and apparently the sticker acts as an antenna and the glass windshield helps to amplify the signal

Just to make sure I understand, a tag is not required to get into DFW correct? You can still elect to go to the cash lanes?

I ask because if that is the case, I'm not going to worry about a tolltag on mine. I haven't run one in a long time, and all the tolls are accurately reported based upon my license plate. Even in places like Austin that use the TxTag it reports just fine. So I'm not going to worry about a tolltag if the only place I need to worry about it is at DFW. I'll pay the $2 or whatever it takes to go in and out.

Just to make sure I understand, a tag is not required to get into DFW correct? You can still elect to go to the cash lanes?

I ask because if that is the case, I'm not going to worry about a tolltag on mine. I haven't run one in a long time, and all the tolls are accurately reported based upon my license plate. Even in places like Austin that use the TxTag it reports just fine. So I'm not going to worry about a tolltag if the only place I need to worry about it is at DFW. I'll pay the $2 or whatever it takes to go in and out.

Absolutely correct. What I don't know is if you go through a combo Cash/TollTag lane whether you may get double charged if it does pick up the toll tag as well. Also, several members have reported getting a mail from NTTA about tag not registering correctly after months of getting billed through the license plate? I don't know. Perhaps they can't always read the plate so they are trying to "encourage" people to fix their tag so they can maximize the toll collection.