Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tonight, first “inadvertent” use of self park: I’m impressed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a spur, my wife and I decided to visit a local ice cream establishment, located in a small strip mall. There were a fair number of cars in the parking lot, and I pulled up to an area with about four empty slots, intending to back in. The Tesla posted a blue box “PARK” (I forget the exact wording). I clicked it, and it took over. Didn’t quite get it with the first turn, so pulled forward slightly to adjust, and then completed the park. Didn’t even ask, just put it in Park, and we were there and done.

Impressed. 😊

Reactions: Yelobird and Dewg
On a spur, my wife and I decided to visit a local ice cream establishment, located in a small strip mall. There were a fair number of cars in the parking lot, and I pulled up to an area with about four empty slots, intending to back in. The Tesla posted a blue box “PARK” (I forget the exact wording). I clicked it, and it took over. Didn’t quite get it with the first turn, so pulled forward slightly to adjust, and then completed the park. Didn’t even ask, just put it in Park, and we were there and done.

Impressed. 😊
Sounds typical. It never gets lined up on the first go.

This is Autopark, a feature I believe only us owners of older cars still have. (Newer owners had it listed as a feature, but it has been pending release for the past 14+ months.)

Like you, we used it yesterday by 'surprise'. To be more accurate, we almost never use it so were surprised to find a good use-case for it. About 40% of the way reverse parking into an SC slot the camera view was obstructed due to sunlight and the blue box appeared with the offer to park. On a whim my husband pressed the offer and the car confidently finished the job, including how far back we could go safely (on the screen that view was all blurry due to the sun and shadows.)

Honestly, I feel so sorry for those with USS; we don't use autopark hardly at all but we use the USS reading all the time due to the car's home being an underground garage and there's a sweet spot that means the car's liftgate can open fully without hitting overhead ductwork.

Reactions: Joesmoe3
I’m getting more impressed each time.

There is a “trick” I find to it — reminds me of having sex, what little I remember — have to prepare by arranging the car just so — if the car “takes it”, there will be a momentary blip on the display about “PARK”, and I have to tap it almost immediately or it’s gone. A couple of times when I’ve missed, it reappeared. When the car accepts the task, it is able to park right between the lines, with or without other cars present.

I’m thinking about painting lines on the driveway, and see if the car will self park there with every drive home.

I’m getting more impressed each time.

There is a “trick” I find to it — reminds me of having sex, what little I remember — have to prepare by arranging the car just so — if the car “takes it”, there will be a momentary blip on the display about “PARK”, and I have to tap it almost immediately or it’s gone. A couple of times when I’ve missed, it reappeared. When the car accepts the task, it is able to park right between the lines, with or without other cars present.

I’m thinking about painting lines on the driveway, and see if the car will self park there with every drive home.
One of my big disappointments with Autopark is that it doesn't work for my driveway. Since parking at home is done very frequently, Tesla has neglected a significant use case.

Reactions: Joesmoe3