Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took a test drive - Need to better understand Blind Spot warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMO, having an indicator of some sort, in the field of view, that alerts drivers to vehicles occupying their blind spot can do nothing but aide in situational awareness. I do not see that being a bad thing, unless for some reason the system tends to malfunction. For that reason alone, I think Tesla should update the software to be more in line with other auto makers. The last three car's I've had (all of which are significantly cheaper than my MY) all had active systems (visual and audio alerts) and they all helped quite a lot. Honestly, there should be a light located high near the outside rearview mirrors like most cars. Who wants to look at the center console to see if someone is in your blindspot?

Different driving behavior. You take action AFTER signaling but I would hope you check and think before doing.

I think about switching, look at mirror, hit signal and move. What do you do? signal and then look?
Yes, signal and then look. If you use autopilot you signal and it looks and it goes when it’s safe. It sounds dangerous but I like that I can now look around without worrying about the car in front of me slamming in the brakes.

Yes, signal and then look. If you use autopilot you signal and it looks and it goes when it’s safe. It sounds dangerous but I like that I can now look around without worrying about the car in front of me slamming in the brakes.
Autopilot does not facilitate changing lanes. Only Full Self Driving will automatically change lanes when it is safe to do so.