Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind Spot Warning Light Possible With Vision?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading about the new Vision parking assist update and its capabilities, it got me thinking. Since Vision uses the cameras to display warnings about objects near the vehicle, does anyone think that it wouldn't be too difficult for Tesla to enable Vision to detect vehicles in blind spots and display BSW warning lights on the screen? Perhaps something that would duplicate the BSW light on the outside mirrors that many other cars have, except have a right side yellow BSW light illuminate on the top right corner of the screen and a left side BSW light illuminate on the top left corner of the screen.

After reading about the new Vision parking assist update and its capabilities, it got me thinking. Since Vision uses the cameras to display warnings about objects near the vehicle, does anyone think that it wouldn't be too difficult for Tesla to enable Vision to detect vehicles in blind spots and display BSW warning lights on the screen? Perhaps something that would duplicate the BSW light on the outside mirrors that many other cars have, except have a right side yellow BSW light illuminate on the top right corner of the screen and a left side BSW light illuminate on the top left corner of the screen.
It's a design decision. There is actually a blind spot signal in the CAN bus that some third party displays take advantage of, but Tesla purposefully does not display it or give a warning tone until you actually make an active move to move into that lane. I think they don't want people rely on that light (as many people do nowadays) instead of actually checking their blind spot.
Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

Reactions: dusty22
I agree there should be an option. Id like a gentle audible ding when you put your signal on if there’s someone in your blind spot. But like @stopcrazypp mentioned, it could do more harm than good at times when you rely on it but the camera doesn’t see a car in your blind spot, e.g., if the camera is blocked by the rain/dirt or blinded by the sun.

I made one of the third party displays- even if you wanted to have continuous BSM alerts you can't use the canbus signal as it's only active when the turn signal is on. I use USS to show the sort of 'light in the mirror' indicators for driving around, but obviously won't work on cars without USS.

While I'd rather have have an explicit warning, that's why the car shows the side cameras when the turn signal is on.