Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took Delivery, won't give me car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Sorry this is a bit of a rant - but curious if anyone has any advise.

After waiting for a few months (like everyone else - original order was 4/2), I was finally scheduled to take delivery yesterday in Peabody MA at 12:00pm. We went through all the paperwork, all the inspections, and the car was finally mine! Emails started rolling in; Delivery confirmation, Lease activated / started, Connectivity activated! Then we find out that Geico's system was down so we couldn't get the title and registration sorted.

Since the Service Center was 45 min away ($50 ubers), I decided to stick around the center to wait for the system to come back up(My fiance waited as long as she could bu had to get back to work so ubered back). 3 hours later, still no word and asked Tesla if I could borrow a dealer car to go home for a few important meetings and wait it out. Of course as soon as I got on the road (10 min into the drive), Geico was back up and running!

5 minutes later, Tesla called back and said unfortunately they couldn't register me (because I just moved to MA from California a week ago and still had a Cali license) and that it would take another 10 days for me to get the car! Although the law says I have 1 month to get my MA stuff in order.

So basically, I paid for the car, my lease and premium started and Tesla took my keys back and sent me on my way. They offered to get me an Uber home on the phone but when I got to the service center they just asked me for my keys back to they could move the car and left me stranded. Now I've wasted a whole day, I'm down $200 from uber and still no car.

Is there literally anything I can do? This experience has been insane to say the least.

Is having a MA license before car registration in MA a MA regulation? It sounds logical it would be. Just b/c you have 30 days to get a MA license doesn't affect car sales regulations. If so it's not Tesla's fault. Now, if they saw your CA license early on and they didn't say something, then shame on them for not training their delivery team.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Is having a MA license before car registration in MA a MA regulation? It sounds logical it would be. Just b/c you have 30 days to get a MA license doesn't affect car sales regulations. If so it's not Tesla's fault. Now, if they saw your CA license early on and they didn't say something, then shame on them for not training their delivery team.

I had to give my license state, license number, and a picture of my license as part of my buying process... if they then said "yeah, all that information you gave us? We ignored it, you have to wait because of our mistake" I would be livid.

Keith

Turns out they knew that if you're leasing (first mistake), you need to have instate license - would have been nice to know that.

Also - I went to the RMV today to get a license and decided to check in on our registration. The CAR has been registered, but TESLA hasn't paid the fee so I'm sitting here without a car while they drag their feet. I called Tesla and they're denying they have any information that it's been registered. Then blames it on another department that takes care of payment. To say this experience has been absolutely miserable is an understatement.

Turns out they knew that if you're leasing (first mistake), you need to have instate license - would have been nice to know that.

Also - I went to the RMV today to get a license and decided to check in on our registration. The CAR has been registered, but TESLA hasn't paid the fee so I'm sitting here without a car while they drag their feet. I called Tesla and they're denying they have any information that it's been registered. Then blames it on another department that takes care of payment. To say this experience has been absolutely miserable is an understatement.
Why would you still call leasing a mistake?