TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Touch screen failure

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Gynob001, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Gynob001

Gynob001 Member

Yesterday, my touch screen was blank-dead, black, and unresponsive. Driving shift lever appeared to work. I had to go somewhere and was in a hurry and was apprehensive. I called the Tesla service and they were helpful and assured me that the computer needed rebooting. I didn't know how to reboot.
    Here are the instructions.
    1. Hold the two rotating knobs on the steering wheel together until you see the Tesla emblem on the screen.
    2. You can release the knobs now.
    3. Wait for the computer to boot.
    4. wait for about 30 secs to make sure that everything is OK.

Also, when you call Tesla, keep your WIN # ready!

2. Knobby

Knobby Member

On Saturday my touch screen went dark and no amount of holding down the scroll wheels would recover it. The car operated fine without it. After driving about 15 min or maybe more it came back by itself. No repeated incidents since then. Mysterious.

3. JohnxII

JohnxII Member

Thanks to this thread I did the soft reset without help from tech support on a saturday night. No Tesla emblem shown tho, screen just turned black and everything back to normal when the door opened and closed again.

4. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

Mine has gone either blank or non-responsive several times. It usually comes back upon reset. Once it did not but after a sleep, it properly awoke. My theory is that there is noise on one of the signal buses somewhere that prevents a wakeup from happening.