Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touch Up Paint from TouchUpDirect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
This past summer I ordered a touch up paint kit from TouchUpDirect for my Model Y; the paint color is Pearl White Multicoat (Tesla code PPSW). TouchUpDirect's label reads Shasta White Pearl. The kit can be ordered with or without paint primer or other accessories. My original order was a dud, when I opened the paint and started to test the color match I realized that the primer paint dispenser had a defective brush and I was missing the critical Shasta White Pearl base coat.

I reached out to TouchUpDirect, gave them my order information. They replaced the defective primer paint tube and sent me the missing critical Shasta White Pearl base coat. Today, after several months, I finally found the time to use the touch up kit. I wanted to complete this project before it got too cold here in Maryland. Today was 70F so it was time. The included primer is battleship grey. The Shasta White Pearl (Tesla code PPSW) is a solid white color. The PPSW mid coat appears to be milky clear with metallic flakes. The top coat is clear with a glossy finish.

My Model Y's touch up areas, all as delivered to me by Tesla, were confined to the door jam areas except one spot; three of the touch up locations were probably tool marks near the door hinges. The largest touch up area was a series of inch long scratches on the door sill of the driver's door (I never did say thanks, so Thanks Tesla!) One of the deepest of these scratches appeared to penetrate the primer layer so I first applied primer to that location. The Shasta White base coat is a good match for the door sill and door hinge area on my vehicle. I do not believe that the mid-coat with metallic flakes or the top coat were sprayed in these areas of the vehicle but I could be wrong.

There is one additional touch up location that is on the driver's door, low down. I originally thought this was a spot of dirt but it is a black spot in the paint. As far as I can tell the base coat and mid coat were not applied to this small spot (probably dirt or other contaminant on the door panel.) I can't catch my fingernail on the edge so it appears that the spot was painted over with clear coat. I am reluctant to attempt any repair as I would only make it stand out. I shall consider it a beauty mark and call it a day.

In summary, even though TouchUpDirect initially sent me crap they made it right. Their touch up paint, in the case of my Pearl White Multicoat Model Y, is a good match.

Last edited: