Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touch up paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you applied more than one coat? I have a couple of dings on my back bumper (a pole jumped out and attacked me when I was backing up). I finally got the kit last week (they had been out of stock for a while) and put the first coat on. With the black underneath, it is going to take a few passes to get it covered. I have the same pearl white as you.

Keep us posted on the outcome after additional coats. Thanks

I ordered my pearl white (PPSW) touch up kit several weeks ago and it finally delivered today. I opened it up and saw like @Yragorn that it looked silver! I have not applied any to my car but I shook it up and put a bit on some paper and cardboard just to see the color applied and it still looks awfully silver. I don't think I want to put it on the car :( Maybe I will have to seek a refund and try something like Dr Colorchip or maybe apply some of the white touch up paint from our Honda Odyssey. I think it is a much closer match than this at least and my only current chip is in the door sill where it isn't very visible anyway.

Keep us posted on the outcome after additional coats. Thanks

Here is a close-up after two coats. For scale, this spot is about 5/8” wide.

Not feeling optimistic at this point and may have to have someone else do it (I’ve been having my detailer do it).

C62FB4ED-5599-403D-B52C-318592A3D230.jpeg

oh boy.....how is that even white????.....I wonder if the other white would be better???
Remember that is is covering a black (or very dark grey) spot.

I haven't decided if the hue is correct yet.

Also, I posted a pretty low-res version of the photo. Didn't think I was at the point where it would make a difference yet.

Had a quick question. The touch up paint lasts about a year. If you want to use the paint multiple times through the year, what do you do about the blending cloth? Are you supposed to wash it after every use? I assume if you don't and repeatedly use it on multiple sessions, wouldn't the dry paint on the cloth and start rubbing on the paint marring the finish?

The pearl white touch-up is silver/grey. Period. I asked for a refund. They asked me to send them a picture I did. Now, waiting. If Dr. Chip's color is correct, I may buy one of their "refill" bottles and use the other gear that came from Tesla. Until then I continue to use my paper "white-out" as detailed in my previous post

keep us posted with tesla respone and your Dr chip results. Good see if we have an alternative

The pearl white touch-up is silver/grey. Period. I asked for a refund. They asked me to send them a picture I did. Now, waiting. If Dr. Chip's color is correct, I may buy one of their "refill" bottles and use the other gear that came from Tesla. Until then I continue to use my paper "white-out" as detailed in my previous post

How did you get a hold of them? I keep emailing them and have received no response. Terrible customer service. It is unreal that a company as large as this just doesn't respond to emails.

• Informative
Reactions: tren01t
I had a small rock chip that needed to be repaired as a part of paint protection film installation. I'm having the same issue that other Model 3 owners have, that its obviously gray and not white. Also like some others, the paint and been completely taken off in this small area, so the going thought that the detailer and I had was that maybe a second coat would do it. I'm going to hear back from them shortly, but based on what I'm seeing here, it sounds like its not going to be any different.

It really puts me in a pickle since once the paint protection film is installed I can't go back, yet delaying the install to try and fight this out or find a better solution is really just going to make it a big pain. This is really unacceptable on Tesla's part. I'm probably going to call the local SC this morning to see what they can offer. I just got my M3 a month ago, and they had installed the trunk lid too close to the bumper, which has been rubbing paint off. Maybe they can just fix the rear bumper and touch up the paint from Tesla directly. Has anyone had any luck with getting Tesla to take care of it themselves?

Attachments

• IMG_1883.JPG
    IMG_1883.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 275
  • Informative
Reactions: vnxs
I had two big scratches on my front bumper from another car license plate screws...
The car must have violently hit my car when parking and left two noticeable scratches.

To fix it I used sandpaper and Touch Paint 4 pens kits primer to make it smooth and then I applied the color matching paint and clear coat.

The scratches are barely noticeable.The surface is not at glacy as the original paint,
but I guess you would need to remove and repaint the full bumper to make it perfect.

For tiny scratches, I also get a Touch Up Brush kit.

I also fixed some curb rashes using 3M 90451 Metal Reinforced Filler and Color Magic Scratch Repair Pen
THX, Watts_Up. Exactly what I needed

Reactions: Watts_Up