Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchless Car Wash With Underbody Spray ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi I have never so far taken my car for wash through those automatic wash. I want to if I can. However I have also heard in rain Model 3 Under body cover starts ripping sometime if the water hits it or something.

So the automatic car wash We have here seems like all have the under body spray as well. so is it safe or no to go through those touch less car wash ? Or have anyone gone through the Touch less car wash with Under body Spray ?

On the Tesla manual they say you can go through touch less but I am more concerned about Under body spray.. And don't want the bumper or the undercover to get filled with water or something..

Although I don't know the specifics of the faulty parts, even then I wouldn't expect it to be an issue. It's just a light spray on plastic, no big deal. Take a look under the car and see what it is. At least do it the next time they lift to rotate tires.
I've done of for a year with no issues.

• Informative
Reactions: 127.0.0.0
Do you know when was your car built I think Mine was August of Last year (2018)

and as per the TSB https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10153430-9999.pdf

Affected VIN(s)Affected Model 3vehicles built before approximately November 29, 2018.

That is my only concern.. That overtime it will start ripping..

did you read the link you posted? It talks about driving through standing water, which is quite different than a car wash.

IIRC, that bulletin addresses a high profile incident where a couple Model 3s drove through deep enough water that the aero shields started catching the water like a parachute. Even at low speeds, the drag is very high, and it ripped the shields off where they were bolted in.

A car wash spray is very different conditions and won't create nearly enough force on the shields to rip it off.

And not that my anecdote matters, but I've been doing regular touchless pressure washes since I've owned the car. No issues.

Reactions: outdoors
Because touchless car washes do not make any contact with the paint, it is harder for them to get the paint clean. To compensate for this and to gain more cleaning ability, a lot of touchless car washes use additional harsh chemicals. These chemicals do help to clean the car more, but they often strip the car of sealants and waxes. I personally avoid touchless washes for this reason. If you are going to use one, I would first ask what type of soaps and chemicals they use and make sure it will not strip your sealant or wax.

did you read the link you posted? It talks about driving through standing water, which is quite different than a car wash.

IIRC, that bulletin addresses a high profile incident where a couple Model 3s drove through deep enough water that the aero shields started catching the water like a parachute. Even at low speeds, the drag is very high, and it ripped the shields off where they were bolted in.

A car wash spray is very different conditions and won't create nearly enough force on the shields to rip it off.

And not that my anecdote matters, but I've been doing regular touchless pressure washes since I've owned the car. No issues.

I did read it that it says " damage when driving through standing water." My only concern is does that mean overtime when that part keeps going through water cycles does it start failing ? Because I Just also found some post they are saying it happens in the rain now The TSB just says standing water. it does not say deep.. Does that mean a small puddle and over time driving in rain will fail that part ?

Ripped Undercarriage Composite from the rain?

My local touchless wash charges extra for undercarriage wash. I wondered about this issue myself. But I’d imagine it’s a good idea to get the salt and other gunk off the undercarriage, especially during the winter months, And if I have issues with the aero shields, I know Tesla will take care of it.

Reactions: 127.0.0.0
I did read it that it says " damage when driving through standing water." My only concern is does that mean overtime when that part keeps going through water cycles does it start failing ? Because I Just also found some post they are saying it happens in the rain now The TSB just says standing water. it does not say deep.. Does that mean a small puddle and over time driving in rain will fail that part ?

Ripped Undercarriage Composite from the rain?

All though I have no specific knowledge about what changed. My guess is that they would have changed the directions of the seems. So that when going through water in a forward direction, the piece toward the front is under the lip of the one behind it. That basically firces the mouth shut as opposed to forcing it open. As it was, some cars basically had water scoops.